Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman longbow
What is the roman longbow and what was it used for
paul depends on the period you are referring
the roman adopted the composite bow pretty early (during the principate) but the Cretan troops (which were famous archers) seems to use the longbow pretty long after the adoption of the composite, I am sure there are more knowledgeable people around to answer your question
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
I don't think we have much evidence of a "Roman Longbow." First, I thin you should define what you mean by longbow. For now, I will assume you mean selfbows that are around 1.5 m. long or more, as opposed to shorter selfbows or composite bows.
Regardless, bows don't survive all that well, and most art showing bows in a roman context shows what look like composite bows, and mostly in the hands of auxiliaries. I don't know where you got the idea that Cretan archers used longbows, but it is generally believed that based on Homer's description of Odysseus's bow, the composite bow had entered the Mediterranean by the Greek archaic period, around the 7th cent. BCE. That is certainly time to transmit the technology to Crete and Italy.
The only actual roman source I can think of is Vegetius's mention of "arcubus ligneis sagittisque" used for training (De Re Militari, book 1). This specific mention of wooden bows is generally taken to indicate a recommendation for selfbows, at least for training purposes, in the late roman army. Of course, this reference gives no information about length. Vegetius states that troops should be trained for foot and horse archery. Shorter bows are more common for horseman. In practice, shorter, and probably still composite bows were used for horse.
well I will have to sort it out but I read somewhere that the Cretans used the longbow in Caesar's time will have to review my bib (unless I read on the forum)

maybe Mike will drop a line here if he will see this
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Hello, Paul

The true wooden long-bow had to be a minimum of 6 feet long; otherwise it would break... especially if drawn beyond a 30-inch pull. Also, a long-bow or self-bow weakens with use, and its power diminishes. It would be my guess that Roman bows of the Republican period were composites of the "cupid," Greek, or Scythian ilk. After the demise of Crassus, it would seem logical that the newer "eared" composite would have been adopted by the Roman army. Therefore, by the 1st century AD the Romans were using a design that was more-or-less universal... from China to Britain. If you are looking for a repro "Roman bow," check out Czaba Grozer's website. He makes a fine symmetrical Roman bow that gives the appearance of a true composite with ears (siyahs).
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb