Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drawings and/or pictures of first century buckles
Does somebody know where I can find drawings or pictures of first century infantry belt buckles like the examples in the attached document? This could be websites, titles, scans, pdf documents, pictures of museum artifacts, articles etc. The language (when relevant) doesn`t matter for me since I am only interested in the drawings or pictures of the buckles and their dimensions (when known).

I already have the following books:
- Ad Arma
- Armed Batavians
- Katalog der militaria aus Vindonissa
- Gered uit de grond
- Roman buckles & military fittings
- The Pre-Flavian Military Belt: the Evidence from Britain

and the following websites:
- Roma victrix
- Dutch catalogue of "Het rijksmuseum van oudheden" where some interesting buckles can be found
- M C Bishop
- Romancoins

but I hope to find more Smile.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(aka Niels)
try, die Armee der Caesaren isbn 978 3 7917 2413 3
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Excavation publications from Hod Hill has drawings of the Durden Collection in the British Museum in volume 2.

Edit: There is also an article by Grew and Griffiths about Pre-Flavian Military belts: the evidence from Britain. Article in Archaeologia 1991
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Here is a picture of a buckle with part of its plate that I found some years ago and put into the BM, this is indeed the first of its type ever to be found in Britain and is similar to the type number 14 that came from Oberstimm in the pictures from the Bishop and Coulston book.
This is an interesting one where the hinge pin had broken and it had been repaired in the field by simply putting in a piece of copper wire that was thinner and made the buckle loose on the repair pin.
The plate would have been about twice the length as shown and as can be seen at the left end there is half of a vine leaf, the plate was also sectioned off into two square areas with a complete vine leaf over the centre line between the squares.
The half a vine leaf decoration also runs along the top and bottom of the plate in both directions of its two sections pointing in opposite directions all being made in punctim dots.

[attachment=10654]ndbuckle.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
I like the symmetry of the above posted buckle. Based on its size I think it was part from the horse equipment.

Could someone give me more information about Die Armee der Caesaren? Is it possible to download this book or could someone send me a digital version of it via email? How many drawings (or pictures) of first century belt buckles does this book contain and how many drawings does it have altogether? Is this book still usefull for its drawings if you can not read German?

Browsing through the online British Museum catalogue I came across a picture with buckles from Hod Hill you can see in the attachment. Here the link to the webpage. Since these buckles are from Hod Hill, the excavation publications from Hod Hill of the Durden Collection seem interesting to me. Could somebody help me to find these publications?

I already have the article by Grew and Griffiths.

(aka Niels)
I've sent you a PM
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
The buckle I have shown is indeed from a soldiers waist belt and not a horse harness piece.
Brian Stobbs
The buckle is over 3,5 cm wide which is almost similar to an infantry belt buckle I have in my collection. That is indeed not too small for an infantry belt. I have an other (pelta) buckle that is 2,6 cm wide. I guess that one is probably too small to serve as a waist belt. That one may have been a horse harness piece.

I have also this article with drawings of buckles on table 35. If people know more books, articles, websites, catalogues, pdf documents etc with drawings or pictures of first century belts, I would like to hear from them Smile.

Vindex, I have answered your PM.
(aka Niels)
Does someone know where in literature I can find the buckles in the red and blue squares in the picture in the attached document?

Image is from: here.

(aka Niels)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pictures/Needed of 1st Century Gladius guard plate Pointer 0 1,127 06-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  IN Search of Officer Tunic Pictures or Drawings Pointer 7 1,883 02-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Roman drawings and pictures Caballo 23 4,236 02-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs