Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman digits
Hi,
(i) where came Roman digits like i, ii, iii,iv -------- etc ?
(ii) any evidence to proof Roman digits and why not we use Roman digit anywhere in
R.A.T ?

with best regards-sajid
I assume that by digits, you refer to what are usually called "Roman Numerals."

Roman numerals were probably partially inspired by those used by the Etruscan. However, their most basic origins probably lie in some sort of tally system. Single notches are used for with other formss (such as a V or X) being used to denote larger groups.
The modern system is usually called "hindu arabic numerals." This is because they were invented by Hindus, then adopted by Arabs. The Arabized Berbers then introduced to Spain, where they spread through Europe. They were introduced to Europe in the Medieval period and were initially popular with mathematicians, and slowly gained general acceptance. This might be my modern bias, but Hindu-Arabic numerals are certainly much easier to work with when doing math with large numbers. I believe that this explains why they have supplanted Roman numeral. Likewise, I assume nobody uses them, even RAT, because they are just too damn hard to work with! If we all put "CCXLVII CE" when meant "247 CE" it would just confuse everyone. We'd spend as much time converting numerals as posting!
Of course Roman numerals are still used for "formal" things like inscriptions on monuments and buildings. But this is matter of style, not because they are more suited to the task.
Roman numerals are also used on copyright dates of modern Hollywood films. Drive's me crazy. LXVIIIMM :woot: :dizzy:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:Roman numerals are also used on copyright dates of modern Hollywood films. Drive's me crazy. LXVIIIMM :woot: :dizzy:

1932 would be rather MCMXXXII, I think.

You see, much briefer. :mrgreen:
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
I just winged-it, and typed a bunch of numerals. :dizzy:
1932? That was the year of the original Mummy. ;-)
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote:I just winged-it, and typed a bunch of numerals. :dizzy:
1932? That was the year of the original Mummy. ;-)

Further proof that even we RAT forum denizen can't even be trusted with Roman numerals. How can we trust the plebians with them? :lol:
And the REALLY BIG QUESTION is--- How did they recite it verbally? :unsure: :whistle: :errr: 8-)
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)