Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unknown Centurio Graz museum
Hi
Somebody have more information about the centurio shown in this book?

[http://books.google.es/books?id=JLKfAwAA...vy&f=false]

Thnaks in advance
nice post.........

Not much more information, I'm afraid. The sculpture appears to have been found at Flavia Solva, and is now in the Ioanneum museum in Graz. It appears perhaps Antonine, maybe Severan. The stick the man is holding across his chest looks like the later variety of vitis, straight with a splayed head, rather than the earlier 'vine stick'. His left hand appears to be resting on the hilt of an eagle-pommelled sword, similar to the type carried by the Tetrarchs in the famous statue from Venice.

Here's a larger view: Centurion from Graz

Here's the full piece in museum situ:

[Image: Joanneum-Aug2014%2B(6).JPG]
Nathan Ross
I suppose no-one has the text of the museum label.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Thanks Nathan. The point is that the oval scutum with horizontal handle sugest that he is an infantry officer, but the eagle head in the sword may sugest a parazonium that is normally a superior officer sword of praefecto or tribune...probably mounted.
Any speculations about the type of armor he is wearing? I see the gorgoneion on the chest, and narrow shoulder straps with tabs to the outside, the reverse of the common arrangement. Is it squamata? Musculata?
Pecunia non olet
Quote:Any speculations about the type of armor he is wearing? I see the gorgoneion on the chest, and narrow shoulder straps with tabs to the outside, the reverse of the common arrangement. Is it squamata? Musculata?

If you look carefully at the extra large picture that Nathan linked to, you can see nipples just under the shoulder tabs. So I'd say that this is intended to be muscle armor. I've no explanation for the tabs. Actually, I'd question if this is a centurion at all. The very Hellenistic style of his arms and the fact that he wears a a gorgonien and perhaps parazonium, seem to indicate a higher ranking officer. although I do not know if higher officers ever carried a vitis. Perhaps he is just a very dapper and well armed centurion? :grin:
...or maybe a thorax linoleum.
He also seems to have a belt similar to that worn by M. Favonius Facilis at Colchester.
Michael King Macdona

Quote:...or maybe a thorax linoleum.

Well, again, there appear to be nipples on the armor. The pectorals also subtlety modeled. So I would have to say that a muscle cuirass is the best interpretation.
Quote:He also seems to have a belt similar to that worn by M. Favonius Facilis at Colchester.

I thought so too. This armour is reconstructed by Graham Sumner as a fabric cuirass in Ancient Warfare 2010 Special. In the article there is this very similar-looking Hellenistic panoply, from the House of Valerius Rufus in Pompeii:

[attachment=10881]img004.jpg[/attachment]

So, while I'm usually eager to see musculatae all over the place in 'realistic' contexts, in this case I think it's just as likely to be some sort of organic cuirass, perhaps even (gasp, heresy!) leather... If the gorgonien is attached to it, the 'nipples' can also be attached. It's clearly not a cheap item, after all.

Quote:I do not know if higher officers ever carried a vitis. Perhaps he is just a very dapper and well armed centurion?

It does seem a very grandiose monument for a centurion, if the size in relation to the sign beside it is anything to go by... But I think the clincher might be the shield: it's there for a reason, and surely indicates that the man fought in the ranks (or wanted people to think he did!)

As for the 'vitis', this sort of later stick with a flared 'trumpet' or T-shaped knob might have been used by higher ranking officers and even civil officials. The commander of the hunters on the Piazza Armerina mosaic seems to leaning on a very long version, and this 3rd/4th century glass medallion portrait (interpreted as a 'trumpeter' by the V&A!) appears to show a smaller one:

[Image: 2006BC5542_jpg_ds.jpg]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nathan Ross
The Valerius Rufus painting has this colours?
Do you have any other image? thanks
Quote:The Valerius Rufus painting has this colours? Do you have any other image? thanks

The image is taken from the article I mentioned by Graham Sumner. I presume the colours are from the original wall painting. Perhaps Graham has more information?
Nathan Ross
Quote:The Valerius Rufus painting has this colours?
Do you have any other image? thanks
This looks pretty accurate:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cetuttle1/4547229903/
Michael King Macdona

Thanks Renatus. Is he wearing. Greaves?