Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Horned helmet
I know the feeling! There is something that I remember reading in what I feel sure was one of my books. Can I find it? Can I, hell!
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:Some people have short memories.
Alas, all too true! Comes with age I guess. And of course a lack of knowledge of the Samnite helmet database. Wink

Quote:We had a similar discussion here and I would like to take the opportunity to point your attention to the possible horns from Vindonissa again (scroll down for pictures).
Still about those same 'Cornuti' helmets! And the images were not of a Roman helmet, so my answers remains the same.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Here are the two paintings. Enjoy!

Graham.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
From an explanation to an other one...

In Ioannes Lydus, Cornicularius is at the top of roll in the military administration. The author makes a funny comparison saying that those who in the army fight in the point or in the "horns" of the battle line are so called. Lydus obviously make a mistake, but in the Latin authors the horns of the battle line are the sides of the same line. Would can Cornuti is simply an auxilia specialized in the protection of the sides of the army in the fight?
Damien Deryckère.

Les Herculiani.
http://lesherculiani.fr/
Hello to all,
We got good information about ( Horned helmet ).
many thanks to all.

with best regards- sajid
Quote:Would can Cornuti is simply an auxilia specialized in the protection of the sides of the army in the fight?

More likely not I guess,although interresting theory.On the other hand Cornuti were really placed to one of the wings at Argentoratum.