Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Horned helmet
Hello to all,
Did ever use Horned helmet by Roman soliders ?
if possible some explain about it.
and many thanks for my help in every field of Roman information

with best regards-sajid
Hi Sajid! The only example of a horned roman helmet I can think of is an early republican Montefortino helmet which had flat bronze horns. Might have been etruscan or samnite influence so I would say "no".
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote: Did ever use Horned helmet by Roman soliders ?
No. Just no.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
SAJID post=363985 Wrote:Did ever use Horned helmet by Roman soliders ?
No. Just no.

Robert, what's the explaination for the Cornuti helmets on the Arch of Constantine?
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Quote:Robert, what's the explaination for the Cornuti helmets on the Arch of Constantine?
I've read a lot but nothing satisfactory. I'm extremely cautious where it comes to late Roman regiment names and literal interpretations. The depictions that we might have are inconclusive at best. No positive identification exists of the soldiers appearing on the Arch of Constantine as 'Cornuti', apart from the 'chicken/egg' explanation 'they have horned helmets so they must be the Cornuti, therefore the Cornuti, as identified from the Arch, must have had horned helmets.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
In Italian if you call someone a "Cornuto" or a group of people "Cornuti" you're calling them devilish, crafty, mischievous, sly. I'd imagine that was a similar meaning in Latin, not literally "Horned".
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Quote:In Italian if you call someone a "Cornuto" or a group of people "Cornuti" you're calling them devilish, crafty, mischievous, sly. I'd imagine that was a similar meaning in Latin, not literally "Horned".

It really might be the case because there is an analogy in another regiment of Petulantes which means something like "sassyboys" if Im not confusing it with other unit.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

As to the cornuti- we don't have anything solid besides a name, and questionable relief. Even then we can't be sure if those were "real" horns, feathers or something else. That said, there were "horned" helmets in use among the italic tribes. Attached is a Mesapian helmet with sea monster shaped horns. Not roman, and probably not what were tining, but it is impressive none the less.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

In the book 'The Late Roman Army' by Dixon & Southern there are several depictions of Late Roman infantry with 'horned' helmets. It could of course be that these 'horn's were in fact feather plumes on the front of the helmet, or they could be actual horns, we just do not know.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Quote:In the book 'The Late Roman Army' by Dixon & Southern there are several depictions of Late Roman infantry with 'horned' helmets. It could of course be that these 'horn's were in fact feather plumes on the front of the helmet, or they could be actual horns, we just do not know.

I think we're still talking about the same helmets as already mentioned below?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:
ValentinianVictrix post=364018 Wrote:In the book 'The Late Roman Army' by Dixon & Southern there are several depictions of Late Roman infantry with 'horned' helmets. It could of course be that these 'horn's were in fact feather plumes on the front of the helmet, or they could be actual horns, we just do not know.

The one's I was mentioning that appear in the book I noted were of Legionarii who were depicted with what appears horns on their helmets. From memory I think these figures were incribed on a glass vessel.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Hi

Robert wrote "No just no".

Some people have short memories.

I have had to produce two illustrations for Dr D'Amato of Romans with horned helmets, although technically you can say one was a Samnite and the horns were in metal. However as they were for D'Amato perhaps your answer is still "no just no"!!!! :whistle:

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
We had a similar discussion here and I would like to take the opportunity to point your attention to the possible horns from Vindonissa again (scroll down for pictures).
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Quote:
Robert Vermaat post=364020 Wrote:
ValentinianVictrix post=364018 Wrote:In the book 'The Late Roman Army' by Dixon & Southern there are several depictions of Late Roman infantry with 'horned' helmets. It could of course be that these 'horn's were in fact feather plumes on the front of the helmet, or they could be actual horns, we just do not know.

The one's I was mentioning that appear in the book I noted were of Legionarii who were depicted with what appears horns on their helmets. From memory I think these figures were incribed on a glass vessel.
I think your memory deceives you. I have looked though Dixon & Southern and see no horned helmets there. There is a glass vessel with four soldiers inscribed on it but they are all bare-headed.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
I'll have to check which book my defective memory is directing me to then Michael, my poor old brain was telling me one thing when quite possibly it was another thing entirely!
Adrian Coombs-Hoar