Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stanegate
Where we find that it was the Flavian dynasty who made the push north with Agricola it could have been the Via Flavius, this then covers all three of the Flavians without Domitian becoming any problem.
Brian Stobbs
Adam.
I am interested in just what purposes you have for wanting to know just what the Stanegate may have been called by the Romans, ( is it for some kind of paper you might be doing for knowing this road very well I could maybe give help on this )
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Adam.
I am interested in just what purposes you have for wanting to know just what the Stanegate may have been called by the Romans, ( is it for some kind of paper you might be doing for knowing this road very well I could maybe give help on this )

Hi Brian, thanks for the offer but it is just for something I am writing where they need to call it something and I thought characters calling it the Stanegate would just get annoying for people who know that name comes from a later date.
Adam

No man resisted or offered to stand up in his defence, save one only, a centurion, Sempronius Densus, the single man among so many thousands that the sun beheld that day act worthily of the Roman empire.
In which case a fictional name not refering to a specific ruler, but based on something like a geomorphic characteristic such as the lay of the road across the country or from coast to coast, may be advisable ....
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
It looks as if we may be back to via transversa,
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
How about the Via Agricola for it is thought that he may be responsible for its construction, and it does close off the war like Scottish Selgovae and Novanti tribes from mixing with the north west Brigantian tribe causing problems for the Romans.
As a point of interest this road is considered as a very strange Roman road that wanders all over along the south side of the river Irthing as it uses the river on its north side as a Limes, it only begins to travel straight after it leaves the Irthing near the Roman fort of Magna and on to Vindolanda.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:How about the Via Agricola

Agricola's successor Lucullus was apparently executed for naming a lance after himself - naming a whole road after himself might have been too risky!

Then again, he did go home under a cloud... ;-)
Nathan Ross
Nathan.
That could be right for he was not treated very well at all by Domitian.
Brian Stobbs