Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All the Emperor\'s Men
With the recent discussions on Trajans Column I thought this title may be of interest to some:

"Trajan's Column, set up in the heart of Rome, was completed in 113 CE to commemorate the emperor Trajan's wars across the Danube. Its reliefs provide a uniquely detailed picture of the army at war in perfect harmony with Trajan who in his own lifetime and forever after was accounted 'The Best of Emperors'. The sculptures are a panegyric to military achievement of the troops and to leadership by their emperor, but, much more than this, they have exerted an enormous influence on modern perceptions of Roman art, architecture, warfare, politics, religion, ethnography and geography. The central purpose of the book is to provide definitive answers to questions which have been asked about Trajan's Column since the first studies of the 16th century. How were the reliefs planned and executed? Can they be used as a reliable historical source for Trajan's reign? How accurate is their depiction of the Roman army at war? What does the Column reveal about the political balance between emperor and army, and about Rome's attitude to the 'barbarian'? The Column's pedestal reliefs depicted more than 600 captured barbarian trophies, and its 200m helical frieze represents 2600 human figures engaged in frontier warfare. Never before has this vast mass of material been studied in detail, in its entirety, using modern methods of recording, comparison and analysis. The author was granted unprecedented access by the Rome authorities to scaffolding erected around the Column for conservation studies, allowing detailed photographic evidence to be collected as well as the chance to study the whole monument at close hand. The resulting book will be of interest to researchers and students of Roman imperial history, art, and the city of Rome."

http://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/all-the-...s-men.html

Not yet published - advance orders taken or save your pennies :-)
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thanks, Crispianus

Although I brought this subject up on the other thread, I think I'll wait for a used copy to show up. This title would be about $70 USD, which is substantial by my standard. :whistle: Not much into "advance" book sales.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Hello,

By the way, Dr. Coulston's PhD thesis, which is about Trajan's column, can be downloaded for free here (but you must register on the EThOS site).

Greetings,
Alexandr
Alanus if you go to Casemate which is the US partner of Oxbox its currently on special offer for 52.95 dollars a substantial saving Confusedmile:

http://www.oxbowbooks.com/dbbc/all-the-e...s-men.html

Its also worthwhile checking out their extensive special offers, the Book depository (free post) though is sometimes cheaper on the full price, what usually kills second hand sales for me is the occasionally excessive postage as it can double the price of a good "cheap" second hand copy ;-)
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thanks, everyone

I downloaded Coulston's 1988 thesis as a PDF, and will get to reading it this week.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Although I brought this subject up on the other thread, I think I'll wait for a used copy to show up. This title would be about $70 USD, which is substantial by my standard. :whistle: Not much into "advance" book sales.