Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC Series New Tricks
Hi

Just spotted that the episode tonight 9.00pm of the BBC series 'New Tricks, is set in" the crazy world of Roman battle re-enactment" according to the Radio Times. It involves a headless corpse found in woodland!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
That'll be the Celtic battle re-enactment crowd. The head will have been nailed to a suburban house's door frame - sure as eggs is eggs,
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
It involved a small fake 1st century AD group called 'Imperium' which seemed to do mainly gladiatorial stuff, though confusingly wore "the uniform of the Twentieth Legion" - whatever that is. Some of the kit looked good, other stuff was high dubious, and it was all mixed period, although the group's alleged authenticity was emphasised several times. There was a 4th century shield that appeared in the background a few times, emblazoned with an emblem I've seen associated with Legio II Augusta in its later years (a touch ironically, since we were told the group avoided portraying II Augusta since they were "cowards"). The re-enactors themselves were a bunch of misfits and frequently dismissed as weird by most of our heroes. Rather what you'd expect, really.

The head was found, as far as I could tell, in a shrine to Nemesis.
Carus Andiae - David Woodall

"The greatest military machine in the history of the universe..."
"What is - the Daleks?"
"No... the Romans!" - Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens
I hear Britannia was involved. Bunch of misfits is not what I would call em?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Having given everyone the heads up I forgot all about it and watched a programme on archaeology in Central America!! :whistle:

Apparently it was 'Britannia' involved, which probably explains the late shield.

Graham

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Ah, yes. The old forgetting to watch the correct channel trick. :dizzy:
I've done that. :whistle:
Ancient Central America is still interesting. Less heads kicking around, though.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Oh, beheadings are so contemporary. They're all over the news these days. Now, a show where 10% of a reenactment group are found beaten to death with sticks...
Pecunia non olet
Quote:I hear Britannia was involved. Bunch of misfits is not what I would call em?

I haven't encountered Britannia in person, so I really couldn't say! :wink: However, Imperium was overflowing with psychopaths, murderers, rapists, drug-dealers, undercover police officers, not to mention the generically odd... I assume members of Britannia tend to be rather more respectable!

I mean no slight on Britannia, of course. I rather suspected a genuine group might have been involved, but makers of TV programmes, I understand, have a tendency to hire experts and then ignore them.
Carus Andiae - David Woodall

"The greatest military machine in the history of the universe..."
"What is - the Daleks?"
"No... the Romans!" - Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens
A link with some photos.

http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/forums/vi...=2&t=35497

Graham.

Quote: However, Imperium was overflowing with psychopaths, murderers, rapists, drug-dealers, undercover police officers, not to mention the generically odd... I assume members of Britannia tend to be rather more respectable!

Well, we all know that it's never safe to assume something...
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:Well, we all know that it's never safe to assume something...

:-D
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Guy Tricks in Roman Army rekirts 4 2,108 02-14-2003, 06:30 AM
Last Post: Anonymous