Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica segmentata construction
Salvete omnes Smile

Just really a quick questions for those of you that have the Corbridge B type Lorica Segmentata. I've seen it both ways, and no amount of research seems to verify either claim. On the upper shoulder guard, the middle one that's pentagonal. Does the point face towards or away from then neck? My apologies if this is a noob question...I just can't find any solid evidence one way or the other. It seems to be a group by group basis (Leg XX insists it's towards the neck, while other re-enacting legions put it the other way). Thanks so much!!

-Octavia Africana
Lori Ames
As I remember it, according to the work by Dr. Bishop in his "Lorica Segmentata" vol I and II, he's the one who figured out the plates appear to point "up" towards the center/neck.

For what it's worth, I ended up cutting off those points on my Seg. rework some years ago, as I also came to no solid conclusion, so figured at the time that if I just deleted them, I wouldn't need to argue it or get grief from others about it! But that I also wanted an "earlier" pattern seg. (i.e. Corbridge hoard type A) whereas the pointed plates seem to have been from later period (i.e. 2nd century?) in its evolution.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Huh...I didn't realize the B was a later construction, I thought it was sometime and the mid 1st through 2nd century AD. The typical construction was through this picture:
http://www.legionxxiv.org/corbridgbenlrg/corbridgeB.jpg

As theirs is pointing outwards...my only concern is that if it's facing towards me and I get in a pile up, as I fight in the SCA, I'll end up poking myself or someone else. You also may know the answer to this...the hook and eye pieces that connect the torso section to the upper body...are those very secure? As in, they don't separate easily? The LS type A has buckles there instead, so maybe it's more feasible for me to go with that one. Any other major differences between A and B other than those? I want to make sure my kit is as accurate as possible for the SCA (I truly despise the Hollywood Roman type look...so bad lol)
Lori Ames
Being a newbie...I also didn't realize I posted to the "rules and announcements section" >.< not sure if there's a way to change that...
Lori Ames
Be experimental and try them both ways. I have heard of no one else doing this. Find out what works best.
Mine point inwards to the neck but that's an A type.
Kevin
Kevin
The Corbridge shoulder assembles (six in all from the hoard) do, indeed, indicate that the 'point' of the pentagonal upper shoulder plate points towards the neck. This might be counter-intuitive from our aesthetic perspective, but it's what the actual items show. As these are the only examples known (so far as I am aware) where the armour was found in an articulated condition, it's the one we have to go by. Full details of this arrangement can be found in Volume I of the lorica segmentata monographs and also in the English Heritage publication: "Roman Corbridge, The Hoard" by Mike Bishop & Lindsey Allason-Jones.

Incidentally, for the sake of accuracy, Mike Bishop wrote the first of the two monographs on the armour.. Volume II was compiled and written by yours truly.

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Hardware. Marcus33 0 258 10-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus33
  Questions regarding construction of a Lorica Squamata cannonfodder90 3 1,274 02-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Lorica segmentata construction help 9thlegion 4 1,731 03-03-2018, 02:53 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe