Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\"Celtic\" military technology and the Romans
Well, I'll do my best with helmets, but I'm no expert and I'd love some more info myself. Check out the Roman coins website for a good timeline with lots of photos (some of which I will repost for your convenience).
http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEquip...elmet.html

Galea/Cassis
Montefortino
The issue of helmets is somewhat complicated by the fact that the Roman helmet evolved into a great number of forms. However, the number of extant examples lets us suppose an "evolution" of the design. I'll post pictures so everyone can judge for themselves as to the accuracy of my timeline.
The Roman Montefortino helmet was probably introduced around 300 BCE. It bears a striking resemblance to celtic types of the same time, and earlier Celtic type seem to show a clear evolution. Compare the Helmet of Ciumeşti (imagine it without the bird!) or the Agris helmet to the Monetifortino and then to the Greek and Italic types already in use. The Montefortino greatly resembles the Celtic types, and besides the scalloped cheek pieces, bears little resemblance to the Greco-Italic type. So I would conclude that the Roman Montefortino is essentially a Celtic helmet with Greco-Italic cheek pieces.

Coolus
The Coolus seems to be more or less a refined version of the Montefortino. the main changes are a more prominent neck guard and a brow bar or brim. These changes were also adopted by Celts of the same time, so it's difficult to say who made the changes first, though I am inclined to believe it was the Romans.

Imperial Types
Again, the Imperial type helmets (Gallic and Italic) appear to be more or less evolutions of the existing Coolus types. Compared to the Coolus, Imperial types maintain the basic form but fit closer to the head and extend the neck guards down and around the neck at a sloped angle. This may have been influenced by the older Greco-Italic types such as the Attic Helmet, which was probably still in use by officers. As the Imperial types evolved, the gained more original features such as ear guards, cross bracing and carefully shaped, hinged cheeks. The cheeks are really remarkable, as the maximize fit and protection while minimizing obstruction of sight and hearing. At some point, you could say that the helmets became uniquely roman, as the continued to evolve into new forms.
The main confounding factor (for me at least) is the presence of the Port bei Nidau helmet type. As far as I know, this is Celtic helmet produced in the early 1st century CE or the late first century BCE. It certainly looks a lot like the Imperial Gallic types (which were probably first made by Gallic craftsman in Roman Gaul). If this type was a Gallic inovation, it is safe to guess that it was largely influence by the Coolus helmets of the Roman invaders in Gaul. On the other hand, it may very well have been copied from modifications already being made by Roman. I just don't know.

Later Types
By the time that the Imperial type helmets were in wide use, Gaul had been conquered and Celtic technology more or less fully absorbed by Rome. Although there were still independent Celts, they didn't really have much less to teach the Romans (at least in terms of weapons technology). From there on out, the Imperial types evolved on their own to the closer fitting "weiler" types for cavalry, and the extra heavy Neiderbeiber types. these maintain the same basic "vocabulary" but have drastically different proportions, such that they bear little resemblance to early types. The Celtic tradition of helmets ends with the introduction of ridge types, which are based on eastern designs.

Conclusion
The Celts were contact with the Romans for hundreds of years, and much of that contact was hostile. Both the Celts and the Romans continued to improve their helmet designs through this period. Both probably influenced one another in the process, further driving the evolution that ultimately gave birth to the Imperial type helmets. Even when Gaul was subdued, Gallic craftsmen continued to produce helmets for the Roman state, thus continuing the Celtic influence on Roman helmet design. Thus, I would conclude that (generally speaking) Roman helmet designs were an amalgam of influences and original innovations, with Celtic influence being particularly notable.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
\"Celtic\" military technology and the Romans - by Gaius Varro - 09-12-2014, 04:02 PM