Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Names of Amazons deciphered as Scythian
Prepare for a whole new generation of woman re-enactors called "Hotflanks".

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...s-science/
Robert Mason D.Phil (Oxon)
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
E-mail: [email protected]
Thanks very much for this lead, Robert

I have not been a John Colarusso fan through his connection to Littleton & Malcor, but this "test" was obviously unbiased. I would expect the names of Amazons would have been in Scythian, Massagetae, Alanic, or some other northern Iranian language. This article confirms the amazing historical accuracy of Amazonia and the strange respect the Greeks held for these women.

I only regret that you posted it here on Rules and Announcements, rather than on Allies & Enemies of Rome.

[attachment=10830]amazons010.JPG[/attachment]
~ Hot-Flanks Attacks Achilles!~

Again, thank you
AJ

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:I only regret that you posted it here on Rules and Announcements, rather than on Allies & Enemies of Rome.

AJ

Sorry, I posted it before I'd had my first coffee. Perhaps some nice person could move it?

I do love it when archaeology seems to *work* like this!

I have offered to acquire an akinakes for the missus if I can call her "Hotflanks".
Robert Mason D.Phil (Oxon)
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
E-mail: [email protected]
I've moved it for you...but only on the understanding no one EVER calls me Hotflanks!!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Robert & Moe,

I'll leave the tagging of "Hot-Flanks" alone. Confusedilly:
But thanks to you both. Indeed, the deciphering of Scythian names on Greek vases confirms linguistics with archaeology, and it gives us a better understanding of the ancient world. Within that article there was also a reference to a new book-- The Amazons-- just published by Princeton University Press. Perhaps this volume will expand the initial work of Jeanine Davis-Kimball on the equality of gender in the steppe cultures.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Names. Especially Belgae, Gaulish and Pictish personal names? John Moxey 5 2,690 01-28-2018, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross