Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archaic high swan crest
Congratualtions Giannis, the crest is magnificient. The re-enactment community needs more people like you - your projects are always very inspiring.
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile
Quote:You mean the base of the wooden swan itself?

Fantastic work, BTW. I've never seen that stitching in the crest to hold it upright and together, but it makes eminent good sense the way you've presented it.

I have padded both the base of the swan and the two brass flanges on either side. It is mainly these that scratch the paint since i have made it fit so tight. It doesn't have any fear of moving, and with the extra leather padding it was made even more tight.

Lysandros, thank you for your kind words. I'm kind of sorry you're abandoning greek reenactment. I was expecting to see more of your own reconstructions and your group's development.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Quote:Does anyone know more about the artifact helmet at the BM? Has the crest holder been analyzed?

I was told there is no artifact proof that such crests were actually used, yet they are depicted on thousands of pieces of pottery! Could the artisans have used a totally fabricated helmet style and why would the public purchase such?
Joe, I was told that the wood on the crest is original, and I have no reason to believe that it isn't.
This is not the only evidence of such crests. There exist a number of parts from high crests, one even in the shape of a chariot wheel, and another that Connolly has depicted. Also, the system of two tubes or loops some five cm apart on the top of the helmet is perhaps the commonest crest suspension system found in archaic helmets, and has always been identified as the suspension for tall crests. So to me there is actually MORE archeological evidence for the tall crests than for the low ones. And there is archeological evidence for them being made both in bronze and in wood like I have made.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Thanks!

There are certainly thousands of pottery depictions so to consider it as only an "Artistic Convention" is hard to believe.
Joe Balmos
W
O
W
!!!!!!
Lovchikov Andrey. "ANABASIS" reanactment society, Saint-Petersburg, Russia.
http://anabasisspb.livejournal.com/
http://vk.com/anabasis
https://www.facebook.com/Anabasis-695452...ef=tn_tnmn
Andrey, come to Marathon to inspect it up close ;-)
Giannis K. Hoplite
Here is another picture of the helmet with the crest worn by Christian Cameron at his Pen and Sword, in the ruins of ancient Plataea.
[attachment=12164]IMG_0923crop2.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Giannis K. Hoplite