Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New knife find from Vindolanda
The Vindolanda Trust just put up this photo of a new knife find: check the handle
[attachment=10657]image_2014-09-03.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
is this bone? or horn? or blackened wood?
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
The accompanying report says bone.

https://www.facebook.com/TheVindolandaTr...39/?type=1
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
[attachment=10658]RomanKnives.JPG[/attachment]

Hmm, that looks familiar :woot:

Most of this type of utility knives have bone scales, but I have also seen boxwood used. Great find, very well preserved handle!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Robert I see they found the knife you lost :lol: :lol: :lol: :whistle:
Otherwise great find straight edge and it looks like a possible finger cut out?
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Do not think that notch is intentional. If it is, it is the first one I have EVER seen on a Roman knife, and believe me, I have seen a LOT! Could just be corrosion. When handling these knives, index finger is on the top of the blade.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:Do not think that notch is intentional. If it is, it is the first one I have EVER seen on a Roman knife, and believe me, I have seen a LOT! Could just be corrosion. When handling these knives, index finger is on the top of the blade.

Noticed that too it looks to me as though its intentional as it is very even... nice piece but the handles not unusual.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Mentioning it as not unusual is a positive for me. Seems either the pattern was communicated as a popular style across a large area, or it was manufactured elsewhere and part of a shipment. Both would enforce the idea of the widespread and frequent commerce and communication.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Totally agree there :wink:
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Excellent! I've seen some reproduction Roman knives that looked similar, but was unsure if it was actually Roman or not. Now I know! Love this knife, and hope I can make it part of my kit of Roman stuff in the near future Smile
Lori Ames
Do you make these? If so, how much for the little black handled one Smile
Lori Ames
Do you make these? How much for the little white handled one on the far left? It's adorable Big Grin Wasn't sure when I saw them at an event if it was actually a Roman knife or if it was just kind of a generic utility knife of the middle ages.
Lori Ames
The small one on the left has the bone artificialy aged by soaking it in plant acids as found in humus. It is a replica of an actual find from Germany. Unfortunatly, it was a commission, so it is not available for sale, but I will be happy to make you one like it.

For your information, the curved blade utility knife is NOT suitable for the Middle Ages, straight or droppoint blades are the norm there. This type of bladeshape is typicly Roman.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Sorry for not being on Forum COMPUTER PROBS ARRR :woot: RobertI know what you mean I have not seen a notch either but as you can see by the hand holding the knife, as we know Roman hands are much smaller than ours, and maybe who owned it found it was too small and just cut a notch in it to stop slicing finger :whistle: Or like you say maybe something in the ground has acted against the iron and corroded it away. Of coarse just to confuse us latter :lol: :lol:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
The corroded notch could also have been caused by a stressbreak in the forged blade. Roman knives tend to have very small handles, they were held more like a scalpel then a knife as we use it. This is not really something dictated by the size of the hand, as 4 cm is small for any adult hand, even one smaller then our own. Placement of the finger on the underside of the knife is most inprobable, as it also impars the cutting ability. The inside of the "notch" is also very irregular, which argues against an intentional feature. So I vote for a post deposit feature or a break causing its rejection. You can get get blade failure like this when using a blade to pry something open as well.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vindolanda tent find: March 21 on Twitter richsc 3 1,549 05-26-2015, 05:13 AM
Last Post: mcbishop
  Sword find at Vindolanda yesterday, June 24! richsc 4 1,646 06-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Vindolanda: unfortunate find Gaius Decius Aquilius 19 4,315 09-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Occulus