Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rural Roman Architecture
I'm trying to learn more about Roman architecture in the form of homes, specifically in rural/rustic settings, but pretty much everything I find is about villas. I'm trying to find out how the "common man," NOT living in a city, lived. I mean common man as Classes I through V. What types of houses were build, what were they made of, how were they arranged on the interior, etc. Can anyone help me out with this?
Thank you.
I am not sure if is is rural enough, but the main dwellings other than villas which are covered in the archaeological records are the excavation reports on canabae (civilian settlements) and the vicus.

Most of them are associated with previous military occupation (Wroxeter is a fine example) but there are printed reports in the BAR series (British and International) which can be found here with links on the left of the page:

http://www.archaeopress.com/Archaeopress...3+Sep+2013

Cirencester, Caerleon, Caerwent, Wroxeter spring easily to my mind.

There is also Wanborough (off the top of my head) which is not associated with obvious military occupation and has interesting details such as subsidence etc. The report on the excavation can be found quite cheaply through Oxbow Books (UK and US distributors). http://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Art + Architecture Christian Early Church Restitvtvs 17 7,354 04-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Restitvtvs
  Roman Art + Architecture (General) Restitvtvs 11 4,505 04-17-2011, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Restitvtvs
  Ancient rural Greek houses? immortal 4 1,410 07-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius