Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pistol or rifle
Sorry, Sajid, I can't identify the bayonet (nor therefore the rifle/musket) from these pictures. It's a basic, more rudimentary design, and it looks like the blade is triangular rather than sword-shaped, is that correct? Are there any markings on it anywhere? Look especially around the "arm" that attaches the blade to the socket, and around the socket itself. Even the simplest markings can help. The indentation on the outside ring at the bottom of the socket was most likely to accommodate the cleaning rod affixed under the muzzle of the weapon.

Triangular-shaped bayonets like this were most in vogue during the first half of the 19th Century, so probably you're looking at a bayonet from a rifle or musket used during one of Greece/Crete's many revolts against Ottoman rule, or one of the Greek civil wars. Of course, even if it was found in Greece that doesn't mean the bayonet is necessarily Greek in origin. Do you know where this was found?
Nate Hanawalt

"Bonum commune communitatis"
Hi,
A spike bayonet, also known as a pigsticker in informal contexts, is a blade attachment for a firearm taking the form of a pointed spike rather than a knife. Most early musket bayonets were of this type. From around 1800 knife- or sword-style bayonets began to appear, which could also be wielded by hand. In the early 20th century spike bayonets reappeared, often folding or stowed under the barrel for compactness, such as on the French MAS-36, Russian SKS and German FG 42. The spike bayonet was also used on the Russian Mosin–Nagant. The Lee-Enfield No.4 bayonet or Pig-Sticker, was a short spike (but fixed conventionally), and was unpopular due to its length.
(Early 19th century socket bayonet)

regards-sajid
The bayonet in your photo seems to have three clearly flat sides, forming a triangle, unless I have misinterpreted the photos. More modern "spike" bayonets do not often have a triangle-shaped blade. Regardless, the socket assembly is of a fairly old style, more 19th Century, but possibly turn of the century. Again, there's little I can do to help with identification unless you can find some markings on it.
Nate Hanawalt

"Bonum commune communitatis"
Looks a lot like the bayonet to my mosin nagant, just a bit older
AVLVS GALERIVS PRISCVS-Charlie Broder

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pistol or rifle SAJID 1 808 08-31-2014, 02:24 PM
Last Post: richsc
  Small .32 auto pistol I made jkaler48 1 1,121 09-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius