Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrian’s Array
A few questions have arisen about Arrian’s Expedition Against the Alans.

Modern scholars describe the 12th legion as a vexillation. Is there any evidence for this? Arrian (22) numbers the elite cavalry at about 200 men. The equites legionis from two legions would number 240 men, which approximates to Arrian’s figure of about 200 men. I would be puzzled as to why so many elite cavalry are in the order of battle if the 12th legion was a vexillation.

At (5) and (6) DeVoto describes the fifteenth legion as a phalanx. Is the correct word as taken from the translation? Or is another termed being used in the original Greek?

At (15) DeVoto describes the fifteenth legion as “the fifteenth infantry legion.” Again, is this the correct translation?

Many thanks in advance
Quote:At (5) and (6) DeVoto describes the fifteenth legion as a phalanx. Is the correct word as taken from the translation? Or is another termed being used in the original Greek?

At (15) DeVoto describes the fifteenth legion as “the fifteenth infantry legion.” Again, is this the correct translation?
As I read it, where Devoto has "phalanx (=legion)" in 5 and 6, the Greek text has 'phalanx'. In 15, the word Devoto translate as "infantry" is an adjective meaning 'on foot', so in the context 'infantry' may be as close as you are likely to get to it. This does seem a bit odd, however, so Arrian may be differentiating between the infantry and cavalry elements of the legion. Again, the word that he translates as "legion" is 'phalanx' in the Greek. I hope that Macedon agrees with this.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
You should take another look at Sander Van Dorst's page (if you can bear the ads) - it has a transliterated text of the ektaxis, with English translations and commentary, and answers all of your questions!

Quote:Modern scholars describe the 12th legion as a vexillation. Is there any evidence for this?

From the text:

The Fifteenth Legion’s infantry... are by far the most numerous - so the Twelfth are either depleted or a vexillation. Later we have Valens, who is commander of the Fifteenth Legion leading the right, while the tribunes of the Twelfth lead on the left. The legate of the Twelfth appears to be absent, so this is likely to be a vexillation.

Quote:why so many elite cavalry...

The soomatophylakes are some sort of bodyguard, perhaps cavalry, but seem to be different to the legion cavalry (who were not 'elite'). See the notes on the Van Dorst page for more suggestions...

Quote:Is the correct word as taken from the translation?... “the fifteenth infantry legion.”

As Michael says, pentekaidekatès phalangos and doodekatès phalangos are 'Fifteenth' and 'Twelfth Legion' respectively. I think the phrase hè pezikè phalanx hè pentekaidekatè is the one you want for 'the infantry/footsoldiers of the Fifteenth Legion'... But a Greek reader who can look at the original text could pick this out far better.
Nathan Ross
Michael wrote:
As I read it, where Devoto has "phalanx (=legion)" in 5 and 6, the Greek text has 'phalanx'. In 15, the word Devoto translate as "infantry" is an adjective meaning 'on foot', so in the context 'infantry' may be as close as you are likely to get to it. This does seem a bit odd, however, so Arrian may be differentiating between the infantry and cavalry elements of the legion. Again, the word that he translates as "legion" is 'phalanx' in the Greek. I hope that Macedon agrees with this.

Thanks Michael. My original concern was if the word taxis was among the text. It is not so that puts my mind at rest and gives me a good idea of how to reconstruct Arrian’s deployment for the legions.

Nathan wrote:
You should take another look at Sander Van Dorst's page (if you can bear the ads) - it has a transliterated text of the ektaxis, with English translations and commentary, and answers all of your questions!

Yes I have copy of Sander Van Dorst’s page. It is slightly different to some other translations I have.

Nathan wrote:
The Fifteenth Legion’s infantry... are by far the most numerous - so the Twelfth are either depleted or a vexillation. Later we have Valens, who is commander of the Fifteenth Legion leading the right, while the tribunes of the Twelfth lead on the left. The legate of the Twelfth appears to be absent, so this is likely to be a vexillation.

That answers the questions. I though it must have been this passage that was for academics the focus of the 12th legion being a vexillation. I just wanted to be sure I had not missed something else.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Doubt about Arrian\'s array Cesco 5 1,798 05-28-2013, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Arrian Array- Questions Jugibar 0 820 09-28-2012, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Jugibar