Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gate Widths of Legionary Forts
Hi,
.......I know I'm quite late for this ( as most of the time :whistle: )
1. Thomas Aumüller in his doctorate Thesis of 2002:
Die Porta Praetoria und die Befestigung des Legionslagers in Regensburg / Porta Pretoria and the fortifications of the legionary camp at Regensburg
https://mediatum.ub.tum.de/doc/601014/601014.pdf
On page 229 he states this:
......Dass auch hier eine Gestaltung mit gut teilbaren Maßeinheiten geplant war, könnte neben der Stärke des Torbogens von 3½ Fuß (29,71) die Breite der Tordurchfahrt zeigen: sie ist mit etwa 4.00 m ziemlich genau zu messen, was in 13½ Fuß (29,62) bzw. besser 9 Ellen aufgeteilt werden kann. ......
As the depth of the gate's arch of 3 1/2 ft (29,71cm) und the width of the gates passageway -- measuring quite exactly for 4,00 metres, making for 13 1/2 feet or, better, 9 ells/yards could Show, the design had been planned in well-divideable measuring-units ....
(O.K. -- there are times when my Job sucks out my Brains -- so please forgive that awkward Translation...)
2. The book "Römische Wehrbauten--Befund und Rekonstruktion"/Roman Fortifications -- Findings And Reconstruction" does not help any further, since it's Focus is on the Limes forts. Aumüller's works , however, is also cited herein.
3. The Austrian Website on Vindobona also "would not contribute". :unsure:
4. The book about the excavations at the southern gate of the legionary camp at Vindonissa(Windisch/CH) seems to deal with ist reconstruction around pp278ff. This part, however, has not been included in the parts available online. Cry
https://www.ag.ch/de/bks/kultur/archaeol...online.jsp
For now

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Quote:
Mark Hygate post=358678 Wrote:Arrian's 4 men wide, however, I see as a straight result of his decision to adopt a less deep formation.

You're not going with Wheeler's suggestion of a change in contubernium size - and corresponding change in march and deployment - between the 1st and 2nd centuries then? ;-)

No, I believe not. In fact I'm plumping for no change in 'as designed' (under-strength not applying) century size from 3rd BC (as Polybius describes) until the break-up/down of the empire and the subsequent 'forgetfulness' that seems to have occurred by the time of the Byzantine manuals.

In both Josephus' and Arrian's detail I think there is a much simpler answer. I'd also note that I would expect flank guards to be both formed units and at a considerable distance from the main column to then be effective.

That said, I would consider that detaching troops from the centuries to go forward and lay out the next camp (as per Josephus) could have been replaced by a different system when (mostly) full legions stopped marching together on campaign and the use of legionary detachments (vexillatio's) became more common.

That's not one for this thread though. :wink:
Mark wrote:
In both Josephus' and Arrian's detail I think there is a much simpler answer. I'd also note that I would expect flank guards to be both formed units and at a considerable distance from the main column to then be effective.

At (4) and (9) of Arrian’s expedition against the Alans he mentions flank guards deployed in a single line for the infantry. This would give the column a depth of six men (four infantry and two horses). This would indicate the army is in open terrain, and the flank guards marching some distance from the infantry. I believe Josephus’ six men wide formation is the same as the above. Besides Vegetius, what other references are there to six deep formations in the primary sources?
sorry to intervene in your dreams gentlemen but I don't think that how big a legions fort gate is has to do with the marching of the miles in or out, if you think about an march camp yes, unless in enemy territory I don't think that the romans marched if nice formations as out reenactors are doing it, they drilled but they had drill grounds for this. I think that the forts had small gates being much better defendable then the large ones. one ox cart in and one out is enough. I have some reports about forts in Dacia Porolissensis will take a look when at home and will give you some measurements.
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
I would have to agree that fort gates do not dictate how many soldiers would march abreast it has more to do with the width of Roman roads, many Roman roads I have walked along are at times only 4 to 5 meters wide and also many have a fair amount of camber to them as well such as the one I have shown earlier.
Brian Stobbs
well I did checked some numbers they from Dacia Porolissensis
be aware not from Legionary forts but from cohors equitate,

I have a 4.25 m of porta Pretoria at Romanasi(rest N.N.)
I have a 4 m porta decumana an 4+3 m porta Pretoria at another one 8so it had 2 openings) the porta principalis sinistra is about the same (3.8+3) at Buciumi

I will have to find out where the books for Potaissa are where the XIII Gemina was stationed
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro