Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attila (2001 movie) historical accuracy
HI Evan, Walter Goffart mentions the Toringi and Burgundiones in his book 'Barbarian Tides: The Migration Age and the Later Roman Empire'. See below.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=dM3k...es&f=false
They are mentioned on page 216 I think.

Malcolm Todd in his book The Early Germans has a page on the Thuringians but doesn't add much more than Goffart.

As I mentioned in previous post Vegetius defined the horse breeds of his day by their country of origin & Azzardi writes in his book that Vegetius's time in late 4th century, sales of horses sometimes caused fraudulent dealings so associating breeds with their lands of origin made sense in those days to a horseman like Vegetius. Whether the list is complete or just his own way of classifying different horse breeds I do not know but Vegetius prized the Hunnisci, Toringi and Burgundiones most of all for the three main reasons I mentioned in previous post ie. war, racing & travel & in his day late 4th century they were highly valued breeds.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Historical accuracy of Roman armor reproductions Mike Weuste 3 1,768 12-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Crispianus