Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late roman chape
Hello!

I'm wonder how it's possible to bend a U shaped gutter to make a chape like this: http://www.templ.net/pics-weapons/152-sp...C_0983.jpg
[Image: 152-DSC_0983.jpg]

Any suggestion? I have tried but the final result it's full of ridges... :oops: :oops:
Cesar.
This is not such a difficult job as you think what I did just lately was put up this picture of how to curve a corner edge strip for a scutum.
This itself tends to give the ridges that you mention however as the work begins to progress you tap these down and continue to heat treat the metal.
What you do need of course is a round rod to make the curve for the chape you have in mind, then with the metal heated it can be curved around the rod and any ridges are tapped out very gentle with a small hammer as you go along.
[attachment=10495]edgetool.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10496]edgestrip.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Thanks, Brian. So, first i make the U section, then bend it heat (red?) over a iron template?
Cesar.
What I think may be better is to make a complete plate from a thick piece of brass or iron in a half circle shape with rounded edges.
This looked to be a much better idea when I looked again at the chape where it has a shaped point at its centre, the guttering you use could be the complete length of both the scabbard sides.
The plate you need could be around 8 to 10 mm thick or in the region of how thick your guttering is going to be.
[attachment=10501]plate.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs