Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamata Doubler Dimensions
This being my first post, I want to thank everyone for all of the great resources I've been finding over the last couple months while putting my kit together for a 1st C. AD auxiliary.

In attempting to convert an old butted mail shirt to at least a reasonable looking hamata, I was wondering about the approximate dimensions of the doubler during this period. Realizing that it will vary by height, build, etc.; I was just wondering if there was an approx. average size.

I can't find much online on this topic, although some appear much narrower than I had originally thought. If there is a relevant thread for this that I missed searching, thanks in advance for pointing it out to me.

Thanks for any input.

-Michael
- Michael
Michael There is no real average size just shape from monuments ect. To my knowledge they has been no doubling complete found just fragments plus hooks. the best fit you can do, is use yourself as a model for the size, make a template how long you want it at the front and how long at the back. The best rule of thumb for the with from neck and shoulder is it does not over shoot your shoulder and to be the same size as your neck opening. Have a look through this,
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/20-roman-re...ssion.html
It will give you ideas what others have done :-)
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I have a hamata doubler going spare (6mm butted). If you are interested, please send me a Private Message (press the text box/speech bubble by my personal detials for quickest way).

Ciao

Moi
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Length of the Hamata doubler, too high? Theodosius the Great 9 2,396 11-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Last Post: Doc
  Hamata doubler Chuck Russell 8 2,666 12-25-2007, 05:19 AM
Last Post: Malleus
  The Hamata Doubler arklore70 10 2,296 04-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Last Post: Crispvs