Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Segmentata: Mass produced or tailor made?
This is another Lorica Segmentata thread. Most people agree the Lorica Hamata(Mail) was more expensive than the LS. Reasons to explain this is that the wire to make mail is required to be high quality and the process is all those links is time consuming. Counter arguments of the LS being more expensive were that is was plate armor-ish and making large sections of plate plus the articulation of uniform is expensive and phased out due to its costs. But most people agree the Hamata was more expensive.

However the Hamata seems to be capable of mass production due to mail being well fitting, good to transport, and reliablity. This is proven in the Late Roman Fabricae in the 4th century. I have a question...was scale armor more or less common?

My main question is asking why was the Lorica Segmentata phased out right when state-run fabricae came along? Shouldn't the cheaper scrapier armor be more effective for mass production and fielding? (like the Ridge helmet for example compared to the Gallic helmet). My original guess that the LS was taylor made to fit well.(modern reinactors found it difficult to wear unless they customized it themselves.) Plus individual soldiers paid for the labor costs in their base manufacturers in the 2nd century when the Lorica Segmentata got damaged, rather than the state. Soldiers serving in the Principate under Trajan served only 25 years before being discharged, while in the 3rd and 4th served more, meaning soldiers in the 2nd century can buy their armor easily with a cheap price, while the state in the 4th century needed a worthy investment they didn't have to be maintained as much and lasted longer.

Others say the LS is like munitions armor designed to be mass produced. The Romans simply phased it out because it was not as effective as the LH, as it didn't cover the whole body, unreliable, and hard to repair etc.

What was military spending like the Principate and the Late Empire? And what was the economy and wealth of individuals like? And the resources to make these items?

How much armor did the Late Empire wear compared to the Principate? Ammianus says that Romans were very heavily armored , while Vegetius say some did not wear armor at all. My guess was Comiatenses were heavily armored but the Liminatei and Foedereti were not.
Firstly you must ignore the fact of mass produced.
Yes this armour was that but it was produced initially in an era where the enemies of Rome were fighting in a specific manner with specific weapons against an army that was equipped to deal with that specific threat. It went out of service due to it no longer being required.
Imagine British soldiers in Northern Ireland using a similar version of a so called "flak jacket"....basically a derivative of the US M69 flak jacket, compare that to modern day body armour. It evolves.....quickly and due to threat required.
Romans were the same.
Others may correct my inaccuracies but the basics are the same.
Kevin
Kevin
Personally I think that LS was munitions armour and at least some degree of mass production was involved. The only way to achieve the dimensional consistency we see in their plate is to use industrial-scale hammer mills or rollers.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Sorry - had to change the title. I did PM Andy to ask if it was ok but my OCD can't stand it any longer!!!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Sorry - had to change the title.
What's a 'lorcia'?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Mass-produced? :-)
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Quote:
Vindex post=358340 Wrote:Sorry - had to change the title.
What's a 'lorcia'?
LOL hadn't noticed that as my eye was drawn away from it Wink
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:LOL hadn't noticed that as my eye was drawn away from it Wink

It's still 'massed-produced' though! :-D

This ongoing saga is quite hilarious...
Nathan Ross
I've fixed it now.
Now, do you really expect the Moderators to correct all the spelling , grammar and tense mistakes? Life is too short...
Moi Watson

Quote:Now, do you really expect the moderators to correct all the spelling, grammar, and tense mistakes? Life is too short...

Fixed.
I liked it more when it was "Lorcia" segmentata :wink:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About the three types of armor Lorica Segmentata? Leoshenlong 2 628 04-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  New find of lorica segmentata mcbishop 18 3,225 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  why lorica segmentata uses very thin hinges? Leoshenlong 3 679 10-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Leoshenlong