Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building a Lorica Hamata;
Flat Rings are not Roman.
Quote:If I wanted to make genuine Roman riveted rings myself in order to construct the real Lorica Hamata where would I start?
You'd need to pick an extant example and look for reports of its analysis. Ideally you'd want to handle it personally or at least you need close up photos of the links. Or talk to someone like Erik Schmid who has already done all of this work and made accurate reconstructions.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
trying to find how julius caesar is related to venus and the trojan prince Aeneas i am actually related to julius caesar younger sister . but i am trying to find the connection would be very greatfull for anyones help. i know that the julii goes back to the trojan prince and venus but where is the evidence. and i know that they are a very old family. could anyone show me a decendency chart .

thank you patricia [email protected]
How does Erik Schmid feel about random emails from someone he doesn't know asking for the information?
Dan
How can one punch out solid rings from flat sheet metal, and the rings not be largely flat? If one uses wire that is already rounded, that i can understand. What kid of tools would have been used to make the links required for a hamata?

Regards, Sam.
Samuel J.
Roman Imperial Armor describes the process in detail. I don't have time right now but I will type it up for you.
Quote:How can one punch out solid rings from flat sheet metal, and the rings not be largely flat?
They are flat when first made. They become rounded after years of wear.
Here are some photos of Erik's reconstruction of Roman mail. Notice that the flat links are almost the same thickness as the round wire and not the foil-thin washers that come out of India.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thank you although I have to completely start over and am wondering if I will ever even get the rings done.
Dan
Just an update to the topic

I have modified the bit I put into the drill to make the rings but before I continue making more are the pictures provided life sized? I am sorry to keep coming back for more help but there is a limit to how far along I could go and need to start over before just giving up.

Thank you all for your help on this.
Dan
They are zoomed in.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Republican Legionary Lorica Hamata Vergilius Salomonis Dextro 1 39 04-23-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Arius
  Lorica Hamata Czear12 14 4,342 09-24-2015, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Czear12
  Lorica Hamata or Lorica Segmentata Purplest 14 5,420 08-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Purplest