Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Cape Bearer'?
Really sorry to chip in with a 1st post, but I seem to have misplaced all my credentials. I cannot figure out what the heck was my handle nor the e-mail account this was linked to.

For what is worth, medieval Greek are extremely similar to modern Greek.

"Κάππα" is still in use in modern Greek, meaning cloak, in some places in Greece meaning overcoat.
The sentence is not clear on what the hell that cloak is, but it definitely implies that the he is second in rank after the standard bearer.

All armies (I've served with one, worked together with lots!) love having slang terms for things that are pretty common.

If you want my opinion we are talking about a person that is second (in rank) to the standard-bearer and carries some sort of cover for it (the "cloak/κάππα)".
I could see the general not wanting his precious standards being damaged or perhaps have the need to conceal them while on the move for some crafty reason.
As the function of the standard bearer is really important in ancient armies, we would most likely be the replacement in case the standard bearer was incapacitated.

Actually, come to think about it, my battalion had an elaborate embroidered and whatnot cover for our war flag.

Kind regards,
Sotos.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vexillum bearer animal skin? Sam Steele 2 2,014 10-19-2016, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Luca
  Bronze standard bearer 1st C AD Caballo 0 953 07-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Caballo