Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mail (armor) question
There's a military history/ arms and armor question that has been stumping me for quite some time. Is there any known reason for (or at the very least extant theories about) for the change in mail construction between the Roman and Medieval periods in Europe?

Whereas the Romans alternated a row of solid links with a row of riveted links, later European mail was entirely constructed out of riveted links. As far as I can see, the latter method seems to be more involved and labor-intensive than the former without providing any real advantage. So why the changeover? What are its advantages, if any?

And around when did it happen? Did it perhaps have something to do with a lack of access to certain Roman industrial processes?
It happened only in the later part of medieval period, so I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of technology needed...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding evolution of Roman armor Alexand96 24 6,924 04-10-2011, 03:31 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  A question regarding a debate on Seggie vs Mail Commilito 25 5,486 08-29-2006, 01:06 AM
Last Post: NeoSpartan
  Plate-mail hybrid armor FlaviusCrispus 31 6,892 06-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS