Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving the legions
Ave Civitas,

In the Later Roman Empire (300-500 AD) how did the legions (or cohorts or Auxiliary) move before deploying for combat?
That asked, specifically, did infantry units march or did they ride when advancing to contact?
Can someone give me a source where I can explore this more?

As always, thanks.
Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Elton Hugh: War in Late Antiquity A Social History
I would urge you get the three volume edition of the Loeb translation of Ammianus. very interesting descriptions of armies on the march. Gratian sailed down the Danube with part of his army whilst on his way to assist Valens is just one example in Ammianus' history.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
You can find the Loeb Translation on LacusCurtius:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Ro.../home.html
Quote:In the Later Roman Empire (300-500 AD) how did the legions (or cohorts or Auxiliary) move before deploying for combat?
That asked, specifically, did infantry units march or did they ride when advancing to contact?
Can someone give me a source where I can explore this more?

Infantry walked with heavy equipment in cart if possible. Civilians did march along (remember that soldier of Julian who brought back a girl from Antioch to Gaul? Turned out he was already married.. Big Grin ). They no doubt used rivers (as mentioned here before) as well as ships.

You mention auxiliary, but you are of course thinking of federate troops or something like non-official forces. Wink The Auxilia were the cream of the mobile field army by that time.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)