Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Striped pallae?
I just ran across this 2nd century bust of a woman wearing what appears to be a striped palla: http://ancientrome.ru/art/artworken/img.htm?id=1662

Is this a post-Roman "restoration" or has anyone else seen examples of other pallae in patterns or stripes?

~Sarah
~Sarah Collins, professional glass bead nerd specializing in pre-1200AD replicas.
Etsy: Heart of Oak Crafts
It looks like a Restoration, but I have seen geometric patterns on 4th/5th century Roman Mosaics of Dresses, and 4th-6th century Women's tunics found in Egypt always had two clavii running down the front from the neck to the edge.
Hello

I have seen this actual portrait sculpture before in an exhibition on Roman influences in Scandinavia. The exhibition catalogue says the portrait face is original but it was added to the rest in the eighteenth century.

There are however examples of clothing from late Roman Egypt with patterns like this. They are sometimes in blue and white stripes and look like a modern day dish cloth!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
This 3rd Century piece is stripey:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Stripey Tunics in the Santa Maggiore:

[Image: RomaSantaMariaMaggioreArcoTrionfaleSxRegistro3.jpg]

The two examples of Female Tunics have the classic "Two Clavii" running down the front which coincides with our examples of Female tunics from Egypt.

[Image: FubvShm.jpg]
Quote:This 3rd Century piece is stripey:

I think that's just single-colour crochet, isn't it? The 'stripes' are the colour of the background showing through. Nice though!

Quote:Stripey Tunics in the Santa Maggiore

Yes, the baby is certainly wearing stripes, which shows it was possible. I think the women just have clavi though - the two tones of blue in the dress are possibly intended as relief shading (as on the soldier's orange tunic), with the clavi in yellow.
Nathan Ross
That's what I mentioned, the Women just have typical clavii like the tunic example I posted.
Ah, well. I thought that palla was so striking I'd hoped it was original. Alas! Smile
~Sarah Collins, professional glass bead nerd specializing in pre-1200AD replicas.
Etsy: Heart of Oak Crafts