Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major Tony Clunn MBE
I have just learned that Major Tony Clunn MBE has died he was the author of the book "In Quest of the Lost Legions" "The Varusschlacht" and he did so much work towards the Kalkriese as we now know it today, he has died after such a very long illness and will indeed be so sadly missed.
Brian Stobbs
That is indeed sad news. We had him here at my house for a book talk and saw all his slides, bought signed books. He liked my wine and really got along with my son. Invited all the legions near DC for that one. Great evening.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
That's sad news indeed. I briefly met him at Kalkriese in 2003, he seemed a very nice guy.
That man's perseverance made all the difference - indeed he truly is the man who dicovered the site of the Varus battle!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
That's very sad news. His book was the very first one I read about the Varus battle and it was so thrilling to read how he discovered the battle field.

R.I.P, Tony :-(
Sad news indeed. May he rest in peace.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Sad news, indeed! I drove down to Richard Campbell's home for the talk he gave - as referenced earlier. I have a signed copy of his book and enjoyed an interesting conversation with him about an incident (at Kalkriese) I'd seen reported on a paranormal website. He confirmed the general outline, and noted that he usually did not believe In such things.
He was unfortunately not able to come to the New Ulm, MN reenactment/commemoration of the Varus Battle in Sept. 2009.
His curiosity has enriched us all.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae