Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\"The Road to Vimy\" gladius
Does anyone have more info on this sword? It sounds and looks interesting. The tang is so wide and it looks like there is iron around the organic hilt parts. It says 1st century bc but it thought that was 2nd or 3rd century.

Neat!

http://m.novanewsnow.com/News/Regional/2...-Gladius/1
Underhill Edge

Hand forged edged tools, blades, and functioning historical reproductions.

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
If it is that old, then it is only the second Republican period Gladius found.
George Willi
If I saw that pic without a text, I`d think it`s a late medieval or rennaissance "langes Messer" or "Bauernwehr" or "Katzbalger". But nothing roman
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
It could be! I wonder if they only speculate it to be a gladius. I don't see any information to back up the statement. It's in a museum so someone highly trained hopefully has taken a look at this.
Underhill Edge

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
I cannot believe there is no other information about this sword out there. Does anyone know if it's in the miks book?
Underhill Edge

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
I think you linked their main page and not the actual link, because I cant find the article you are asking about
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
No definitely the right link. It's the second picture on the top. You have to scroll through it. The article just talks about the soldier finding the weapon on the battlefield.
Underhill Edge

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
The link just goes to the NovaNews homepage - maybe it's a regional thing?

I did a site search on 'gladius' and found the story here: A First World War Soldier's Story

I'd agree with Xorx though - looks kind of 15th-16th century to me. Some of those 'Katzbalger' swords had a thick metal hilt like that.

[Image: article_large.jpg]

Actually, it looks a bit like a rifle bayonet - maybe Mauser pattern. Isn't that the remains of a muzzle lug on the righthand side?
Nathan Ross
Quote:I'd agree with Xorx though - looks kind of 15th-16th century to me. Some of those 'Katzbalger' swords had a thick metal hilt like that.

yup
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]