Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stanford shows time and cost of travel in Rome
This is a remarkable website. If I remember correctly, it has been around for a while, but it has been radically improved. Basically, it shows how one can travel between two destinations. There are other websites like this, but this one also shows cost and all the variables, such as different travel seasons and modes of transport. It also includes the march of armies, which I imagine many here may find interesting to play with.

Here is a bit from the introduction:

Quote:The model allows for fourteen different modes of road travel (ox cart, porter, fully loaded mule, foot traveler, army on the march, pack animal with moderate loads, mule cart, camel caravan, rapid military march without baggage, horse with rider on routine travel, routine and accelerated private travel, fast carriage, and horse relay) that generate nine discrete outcomes in terms of speed and three in terms of expense for each road segment. Road travel is subject to restrictions of movement across mountainous terrain in the winter and travel speed is adjusted for substantial grade.

Here is one little journey I was studying:

Quote:The Fastest journey from Roma to Londinium in July takes 27.1 days, covering 2967 kilometers.
Prices in denarii, based on the use of a faster sail ship and a civilian river boat (where applicable), and on these road options:
Per kilogram of wheat (by donkey): 6.85
Per kilogram of wheat (by wagon): 7.87
Per passenger in a carriage: 900.93

http://orbis.stanford.edu/
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Stanford's Orbis must be one of the most 'discovered' sites on RAT - it's been introduced here, here, here and here!

However, I hadn't noticed the new version, so thanks for the update. It seems a lot slower and less handy than the old one, but that could be my cranky connection...

On the same general subject, I recently came across this:

DIGITAL ATLAS OF THE ROMAN WORLD

Nice topographical mapping, with what looks like an accurate road layout (zoom in for more detail), a good search function and links to all sorts of other information on locations - the link above is to Bad Salzig, the Roman station of Salisio, on the Rhine.
Nathan Ross
Quote:Stanford's Orbis must be one of the most 'discovered' sites on RAT - it's been introduced here, here, here and here!

I think I mentioned it somewhere on RAT before, too, but I can't seem to find my post. But if I remember correctly the site was pretty basic at the time. It didn't have so many travel options or the costs.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Hi,
  ...seemingly, "Orbis" has been updated.

Again:  https://orbis.stanford.edu/

Greez
Siggi K.
Thanks!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)