Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catalog of bosses?
There is an illustration of an (to me) unusual boss in this Augustan illustration. Has anyone put together an inventory or book on bosses?
[attachment=10307]image_2014-07-12.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
There are a few in Ansgar Nabbefeld, Römische Schilde: Studien zu Funden und bildlichen Überlieferungen vom Ende der Republik bis in die späte Kaiserzeit, Kölner Studien zur provinzialrömischen Archäologie 10, Rahden/Westfalen 2008.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Quote:There are a few in Ansgar Nabbefeld, Römische Schilde
A few?! It's got most of them in, so far as I can see. It does lack a star-shaped one from London, but since that was never published and is now lost I think that omission is forgiveable. ;-) More seriously, he places the South Shields boss in 'Newcastle, Northumberland'; that is wrong on so many levels, we had best gloss over it (but it's a bit like claiming Mainz is in Hessen)!

As for that weird shield boss illustrated, it appears to be based on a fragment from Haltern (Taf.30,309 in Nabbefeld's catalogue).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
That books seems to be unavailable anywhere. Darn.

Are there any images of the star shaped one?
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
The copy of the Dubitatus boss displayed at Newcastle is I think one made by the late Russell Robinson, then the one displayed at the fort of Arbeia is one of the many copies I have done ie this one.
[attachment=10308]6782367237_df807b0481_b1.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
Quote:That books seems to be unavailable anywhere. Darn.

It is still avaiable at the publisher (with detailed contents) or here

I just noticed that I can see my post only when logged in - is that normal?
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
I don't believe it is normal. Contact Jasper if it persists.
May well purchase sight unseen if it has illustrations at least. Something like a catalog of finds?
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Quote:May well purchase sight unseen if it has illustrations at least. Something like a catalog of finds?
Yes, like all of the Köln military equipment theses, it's a catalogue (751 entries) with some analytical text and over 100 plates, ranging from the Kasr el Harit shield down to bits and pieces like that fragment of Haltern shield boss. The illustrations are mostly reproductions of existing photos and drawings, rather than newly produced, so far as I can tell (securing the rights must have been a nightmare).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:I don't believe it is normal. Contact Jasper if it persists.

Today it works - thank you.

In my opinion Nabbefeld's book is not to compared with such monumental works like Miks' sword book.
It is a rather rough overview with a catalogue and the latter makes this book so usefull.
Even if Nabbefeld hasn't seen the material by himself, it is nice to have it collected in one place, and that makes the book worth the money.
There is a review in Ancient Warfare (but cannot find it in the moment).
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Quote:
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER post=357225 Wrote:There are a few in Ansgar Nabbefeld, Römische Schilde
A few?!

Yes, quite.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Quote:Has anyone put together an inventory or book on bosses?[/attachment]

Here's mine:

[attachment=10311]Bgm_De_Jong.jpg[/attachment]

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
richsc post=357222 Wrote:Has anyone put together an inventory or book on bosses?[/attachment]

Here's mine:

[attachment=10311]Bgm_De_Jong.jpg[/attachment]

Nice one Centurion!!!
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
This particular boss I find most interesting and I believe Mike Bishop may have posted this one some time back and it is on display at Tullie House Museum, but what is so interesting is it gives us insight into just how thick an Auxiliary shield might have been for the twisted pins that held it to the shield might indicate between 10 to 15 mm thick.
[attachment=10312]boss.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10313]boss1.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs