Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead slingshots question
Several weeks ago I visited the Varusslacht museum in Kalkriese Germany.
,There lay behind the glass a lead slingshot they found at the battlefield
What amazed me most was that the lead shot was only 2 cm in length an 1 cm width!
On the explanatory sign was written " that it could penetrate horseflesh"

What I found unusual however was why it was so small?
I expected the lead slingshot to be of the same size as a large stone shot, because it would make sense that if a stone shot could smash a skull then a lead shot could double the damage!
So I was thinking would it be possible for the slingers to have put several of these small lead shots into their pouch, in order to throw them at the enemy like a kind of shotgun?
See: Baatz, D., Schleudergeschosse aus Blei – Eine Waffentechnische Untersuchung., in: Saalburg Jahrbuch 45 (1990), 59-67. It contains all the physics on impact, velocity and range, and, important: drag. The bigger they are, the more drag and thus loss of speed and range. In this case: smal(ler) is better, to a degree, as long as we're talking lead slingshot. The high density of lead, and it's corresponding higher weight, makes it the best possible material to be used as slingshot. Baatz has some nice comparisons between lead slingshot and some other materials.
The article prior to this one in the same Saalburg Jahrbuch contains all the usual historical, archaeological (at that date) and pictorial evidence: Völling, Th., Funditores im römischen Heer, in: Saalburg Jahrbuch 45 (1990), 24-58.

As to several slingshot in one pouch / throw: imagine the energy that could go into one slingshot being divided over multiple slingshot... you lose. Also: the risk of friction between the different objects will lose even more of your precious energy, and it will make aiming much more erratic. Whilst with one slingshot, you can be dead on target (pun intended).
The example of a shotgun versus a rifle proves this also: shotguns are for targets very close to the shooter, and notably crude, whilst with a rifle you put some valuable distance between you and the intended target, whilst still being able to kill him.