Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman battle sites and archaeology
How many sites from the Roman era have produced archaeological evidence that convincingly supports their identification as known battle fields?

I can think of relatively few - Alesia and Gergovia, although both are disputed; Cremona in Italy, Kalkriese and Harzhorn in Germany (although the battles themselves are not so easy to identify!); Colchester in Britain, Masada and Dura Europos in the east. Additional evidence from various points along the limes attests to conflict, although I think only in a few cases can it be linked to a known war.

Are there more? If not, why might this be? It's probably significant that six of the eight I mentioned above were sieges, and a seventh featured a wall...
Nathan Ross
Hi,

I remember there was a conference about Roman battlefield archaeology and proceedings of the conference were published:

Jobst, W. (ed.): Archäologie der Schlachtfelder - Militaria aus Zerstörungshorizonten. Akten der 14. Internationalen Roman Military Equipment Conference (ROMEC) Wien, 27.-31. August 2003. Carnuntum Jahrbuch 2005. Wien.

Greetings,
Alexandr
Quote:Are there more?

Battle of Baecula:

Battle of Baecula remains found
Baecula battlefield found near Turruñuelos, Jaen

Battle of the Aegates Islands:

Battle of the Aegates Islands Believed found
The new Punic War shipwrecks at Marsala
1st punic war rostrum
Finds from 1st Punic War Sicilian Naval Battle
Bronze ram from Sicily - Images Restoration
How were naval rams produced?
News From the Battle of the Egades Islands Project
Ancient naval battle rises above the waves
Ildar Kayumov
XLegio Forum (in Russian)
Quote:Battle of Baecula... Aegates Islands

Thanks. Aegates is a good one, although of course remains on the seabed will tend to remain undisturbed far more readily than those on land!

Was there anything particular about the Baecula site which might have helped the preservation of remains? Particularly dry environment, perhaps, or an area that remained undeveloped or otherwise unfrequented in subsequent centuries?
Nathan Ross
I remembered another short but very interesting article by Bosman published in JRMES, 1995, dedicated to the Roman defense against the Frisians at the Castellum Flevum (Velsen 1) in 28 CE (Tac. Ann., IV, 72-73). Based on the finds of more than 500 led sling shots, the directions of 3 subsequent Frisian attacks and Roman counterattacks could be clearly discerned. Based on the forms of the finds (including a likeness of a thumb) it has been concluded that the Romans casted the shots during the battle itself.

--------------------------
A.V.A.J. Bosman. Pouring lead in the pouring rain: Making lead slingshot under battle conditions. Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies. Vol. 6. 1995, pp. 99-103.

[attachment=10286]bosman-1_2014-07-07.gif[/attachment]
[attachment=10284]bosman-2.gif[/attachment]
[attachment=10285]bosman-3.gif[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ildar Kayumov
XLegio Forum (in Russian)
Fascinating! Thanks - I do recall reading about Velsen, but I'd never seen the images.

Slingshot and boot-nails seem to be among the most abiding traces, then... Actually I think there are slingshot from Mutina as well - the famous ones with the rude messages!
Nathan Ross

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman sites in the Cotswolds Purplest 9 4,133 08-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Purplest
  Roman sites along the Danube Jona Lendering 28 7,217 06-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Arahne
  Roman Military sites Oct 11 3,007 06-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Longovicium