Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time Travel
Or maybe 44BC to safe Caesar and see how good or bad he would perform on his Persian expedition.

...And far too many other dates I would like to visite :-) .
I think right here in the north of England in around 117 / 119 AD just to find out what did happen to the ninth Legion.
Brian Stobbs
Save your trip for another date Brian. Everyone knows that the 9th were wiped out by the "seal people" Later to appear in eastern Europe in the late 2nd cent. Maybe they did time travel.
Kevin
Kevin
Quote:Everyone knows that the 9th were wiped out by the "seal people"

Or was it the druids? No need for time travel anyway - this piece of ancient TV shows what really happened:

Eagle of the Ninth
Nathan Ross
383 AD to see what Maximus really left behind in Britannia, and visit the then extant Battlefield Memorial/Temple of Mithras at Church Stowe. Wink
Quote:
Nathan Ross post=357407 Wrote:Be sure to take a GPS device of some sort. Not too many roadsigns around back then...
I'd look for roadsigns sooner than for that GPS to start working Smile

Can nobody use a map and compass anymore? It's like cub scout 101...
Nah, I was too socially maladjusted for the Scouts.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
I got kicked out of scouts because I was socially maladjusted. So no difference there. I'm just amazed at how dumb people are getting as technology is getting more advanced (this comment is NOT directed at anyone specifically.)
No satellites orbiting the earth in Roman times so a compass and map would be best.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
I'm an old fashioned archaeologist, I know how to record these things without the aid of technology Smile
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Put a granite market in the ground that says "here was the site of x" and it'll last a very long time.
Quote:Put a granite market in the ground that says "here was the site of x" and it'll last a very long time.

That's exactly what they did in a children's novel written about 40 years ago. A teenager goes back in time (by accident) and can't be retrieved immediately, and ends up in the Children's Crusade. The scientists back home then get word to him that they left a marker in Flornce (I think it was), plus a date and time when he has to be there. Smile
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I'd like to help a few people out. Like, going back to a certain day in 408 and telling Stilicho, "Look! Take a break. Don't go to church." :whistle:

Or ask Caesar, "Hey, Big Guy. Ever thought of wearing Kevlar?" :dizzy:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
I'd like to go to one of Caesar's battles and find out once and for all the mechanics of how he relieved the troops in the front line.
--James
In Carthage, around the Diadochi period, just because there was a broad variety of heterogeneous cultures in the known world at that time, and because I could probably catch a ride around the Mediterranean in one of those Punic ships. There's also the weather and natural beauty of Tunisia.
Seeing the Pax Romana would be pretty neat too, but it seems like everything would be a bit too uniform by that point.