Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
30 Spangenhelme found in Novae
Salvete!

This find may be well known to many RATers as it was published some time ago but it was completely new to me, so I thought it worthwhile to post a short note here:

Ca. 30(!) iron Spangenhelme have been recovered from a mid 6th century context in the episcopal complex at Novae. They belong to the simple Der El Medineh / Leiden type (although they have certain peculiarities) and provide the first secure dating context for this type of helmet. They should also put the theory to rest that use of helmets was limited to high-ranking officers in this period.

The find has been published in

Andrzej B. Biernacki: Early Byzantine Iron Helmets from Novae (the Diocese of Thrace).in: BYZAS 15, Byzantine Small Finds in Archaeological Contexts, editors B.Bohlendorf-Arslan, A.Ricci , DAI Istanbul, 2012, pp.91-104

But restoration work appears to be on-going and the number of specimens may rise beyond 30.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Can someone maybe provide scanned pages or at least pictures of the helmets?
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Quote:Der El Medineh... the first secure dating context for this type of helmet.

Interesting - thanks!

But is the Der-el-M really so similar in form to the Leiden? Why is it so often dated to the 3rd century? I'd always assumed there was something... unusual about it, that set it apart from other late spangenhelms.
Nathan Ross
Quote:But is the Der-el-M really so similar in form to the Leiden? Why is it so often dated to the 3rd century? I'd always assumed there was something... unusual about it, that set it apart from other late spangenhelms.

I guess the main reason for Der-el-Medineh datation to late 3rd/early 4th century is in their possible depictions on Arch of Galerius.I believe helmets like this were in use from later 3rd century to 6th at least.
After reading the publication more thoroughly, I must correct myself: Technically these are not Spangenhelme but Segmenthelme. They appear to consist of 8 tapering spherical segments riveted directly to each other and connected at the top by a round plate and at the bottom to a base ring (referred to as a “hoop” in the publication). This is the most puzzling piece of the helmets as in the drawings of two of the helmets it appears to be formed of more than one ring or at least extended in the back to form a sort of small neck guard as shown below (I am re-drawing this as I am not sure I am allowed to post scans here):

[attachment=10223]Novae.jpg[/attachment]

This unique feature is not further discussed in the publication. However, the helmets were severely crushed in an earthquake so the original form may have been different. Several cheek plates and at least one nasal were also found.

If anybody requires more information, please send me a PM.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
I've noticed these are all very similar in construction to an earlier 4th/5th century Hunnic helmet (I'm not sure which find it is, I have to check the paper.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Novae, Bulgaria Bronze Segmentata? Doc 72 10,513 11-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Caratacus