Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to paint metal?
Hi,
First off, I'd like to apologise that the specific topic of this post has to do with re-enactment but not Roman re-enactment. I didn't really know where to ask this, so I figured it wouldn't be too harmful to ask it here.

Basically, I have a helmet I want to paint. It's not a Roman helmet - or even an ancient helmet at all, it is a reproduction of the medieval nasal helm:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?...h+Aventail+
The helmet came oiled, but the oil has since rubbed off with use. I re-oiled it once, and cleaned off a little surface rust, but other than that(and being scuffed up) the helmet is good as new. I'm looking to paint it - both to protect it from rust, and because it would be more period-accurate - but I'm unfamiliar with metal paints, I've only ever used wood paints, and I have a feeling wood paint would come right off.
If anybody here could shed a little light on how to paint steel, it would be greatly appreciated.
I haven't painted metal either, but I would assume that you should scuff up the surface so the pain will stick better (than a slick shiny surface), before applying an appropriate primer and metal paints
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
go to the paintshop, buy metal degreaser, metal primer and the collors you want to paint the helmet.
(you will need brushes too Wink ) then sand the helmet with sandpaper ( fine grain). give the helmet its first layer of primer. Sand again. Then you can put on several layers of paint, but inbetween every layer sand slightly. last layer can be a transparant one. shighny of dull.
succes
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Excellent! Thank yous incoming.
Polish it up and give it a thin coat of boiled linseed oil and leave to dry for a few days, worked fine for me...
For colour add a pigment to your linseed oil, natural pigments are available from various suppliers, as I live in Germany I would use Kremer Pigmente...

The nice thing about this method is its easy to renew the finish or remove it entirely with pure Turpentine.
For a black finish heat it gently untill it turns black...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867