Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
German or spanish
Hi,
All these are German or spanish swords ?

with best regards-sajid

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The general style is usually attributed to France and is called a sabre briquet (or just briquet), but many European countries used them in the 19th century. I know that includes Spain, not sure about the German states. Determining the origin might be difficult without examining maker marks and other details.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
These are cheap Indian replica's, any money spend is money wasted. Tourist crap fit for hanging on the wall.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I think the bubble wrap gave it away for me. :wink:
Nate Hanawalt

"Bonum commune communitatis"
The originals were used as infantry side-arms in the late 18th and early 19th century. The type seems to have originated in France, but was widely copied. It wasn't used by the British who considered it as an encumbrance and of little use in battle. It was probably used more for cutting firewood than as a weapon.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Quote:These are cheap Indian replica's,.
Ah yes, I wasn't very clear there. I meant determining the origin of any given example. Yes, these ones obviously aren't antiques. A lot of companies are making them now.

Sajid, is this something you're thinking of replicating?
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Trouble with these things is that they are "sword shaped objects", when compared with originals, there are so many issue's it makes your eyes water. So any encouragement to potential makers of these should be avoided. There is enough sub-standard shit coming out of India as is, made by people looking to make a quick buck but with no interest whatsoever in authenticity or true craftsmanship. Members of this forum have in the past invested a lot of time trying to turn this around, believing that, when providing manufactures wanting to step into the market with detailed info on how it should be done, a change for the better could be made. Only to be rudely disappointed time and time again. But he, that is just my opinion. Personaly, I have given up!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin