Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romans in Ireland (not for long, it seems)
Interesting, but far more detail needs to be released to identify the bodies as Roman soldiers. One pugio and army does not make! Tends to sound like a spoof to me - I'm sure we would have heard more about this in 1996!

http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/ireland-...ionnaires/
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I liked this story in World News Report better: http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/ruins-of...an-desert/
Robert Mason D.Phil (Oxon)
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
E-mail: [email protected]
I'm wondering how many hobnails have been found?... in Ireland not in Australia :grin:
The “Roman fort” at Drumanagh seems to be a typical promontory fort...... I've been to several myself... I don't doubt there was trade though...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
'World News Report' were, of course, the same people who came up with the 'grave of Attila' spoof a couple of months back... :whistle:

I do wonder what the purpose of a site solely dedicated to fake news might be - this debunking of the 'ancient Australian city' story that Robert Mason mentioned suggests it might all be about advertising revenue... who knows? :errr:
Nathan Ross
Quote:'World News Report' were, of course, the same people who came up with the 'grave of Attila' spoof a couple of months back... :whistle:

I do wonder what the purpose of a site solely dedicated to fake news might be - this debunking of the 'ancient Australian city' story that Robert Mason mentioned suggests it might all be about advertising revenue... who knows? :errr:

I thought it sounded all a bit "Sunday Sport"... clearly its all about advertising revenue and nothing to do with real news ;-)
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Quote:I thought it sounded all a bit "Sunday Sport"

At least people know the stories in the Sport are nonsense (or one hopes they do...)

The trouble with sites like this is that the 'stories' leak very quickly into the wider world of the internet (that hothouse of truth!) and feed popular misinformation. 'Romans in Ireland' might just fuel a few pub bores, but the 'Ancient Australia' one is dabbling in some far dodgier areas...

Not that it isn't fun to hoax a little... (I've done it myself, after all - Wink )
Nathan Ross
Yes of course the Sport stories are just that stories, I guess the difference here is its plausible enough to be seen as true, and really highlights the problem with the internet generally deliberate misinformation abounds but then is it ever likely to be a medium for truth and enlightenment... the question is who is the joke on? ;-)
Ivor

....the re seems to have been extensive studies by a cerain Dr. Patrich Reinard from Phillips-University at Marburg/Germany.
Homepage:
http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb06/alte_gesc...ar/reinard
The matter as such:
„arma ultra litora Iuvernae promovimus – Römer in Irland?“, in: Marburger Beiträge zur Antiken Handelsgeschichte 31 (2013), S. 1-36
"......-Romans In Ireland ?" in: Marburg Contributions to Ancient Commercial History 31 (2013) ......
There have been "popular" publications about this in "Spectrum" an excerpt of which is available here (sorry-- in German):
http://www.spektrum.de/news/das-verschma...nd/1308050
There's no clear hint as to where it is published, but I would gues that this'd be done in the most recent volume (no.39) out from 10.Sept.
The essence: Irland was not profitable enough for the Romans.
I do not know whether Dr.Reinard was fully awares of that recent "outcome" from Ireland mentioned above, but having a couple of manipula butchered IMHO may have well contributed to the "debt-side" very much along the lines of decisions that brought about the abandonement of parts of Germania Libera by Emperor Tiberius.

Greez

Siggi
Siggi K.
One of the side stories on the link was about Russian scientists turning lead into gold. It looks like their advertising revenue worries are over! Big Grin
Nate Hanawalt

"Bonum commune communitatis"
This takes me back to the second of Brian Dobson's Roman Army courses that I attended, which was held in Cardiff in 1972. At the end of the course, a number of us discussed producing a spoof festschrift for Graham Webster, who had been one of the lecturers. This was to be on the subject of the Roman army in Ireland and one of the papers was to be about the discovery there of a legionary fortress garrisoned by Leg IX Hispana and Leg XXI Rapax. Needless to say, this did not get beyond breakfast on the last day!
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
This is another of my favourites: http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/usa-viki...ipi-river/
Robert Mason D.Phil (Oxon)
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
E-mail: [email protected]
You may be interested in this recent Ancient Warfare magazine article.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/