Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rust
Salvete,
As expected, my gladius and helmet have started to get little flecks of rust on them. Would the average roman soldier have some rusty equipment? If not how would they remove rust? If their equipment had to be clean, how do I make my equipment "proper"?
AVLVS GALERIVS PRISCVS-Charlie Broder
There are small hard foam 3 inch fine abrasive pads you can buy on the market and a regular rub now and then will help to keep things clean, what you should avoid is letting anyone touch your helmet or any other gear that is only mild steel for one finger print can look terrible after just a day or two.
Brian Stobbs
Yes Brian you are right. My view is that to keep the moisture away from gear (iron ones) people should use little mobile oil,not too much,after cleaning of their gears. This will keep your gear without rust for long.

Suhel
Just like with modern weapons (guns, etc), after cleaning/sharpening (mild abrasive cloths or hides/leather is fine and even smooth stones held in the hand for edges) then you should coat with a thin film of oil - I'm sure olive oil is just fine! :wink:

A thin oil coating will slow the oxidation/rusting process. Unlike modern weapons (with their mechanical actions) attracting grit/sand is less of a problem, so liberal coatings, perhaps even with animal fat/grease could also help for longer storage.

I'm aware that mail coats were often greased with harder fats - it's why the coats and leather backings/jerkins smell so much...... Smile