Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torque material
Dear forum members,

I was wondering whether someone here knows a nice overview of the materials and possibly styles of torques awarded and fabricated during the Roman period (1-2nd century CE)? I know how they were used, but most publications I see mto encounter cover earlier Celtic Torques.

I am mostly interested in what materials were used to fabricate them (both for the neck and the arm)? Brass, Bronze, Iron?

Thank you Smile
Joerie van Sister
Carpe Diem
Phalerae seem to have been usually bronze, silver, or gold, so probably the same for torques and armillae? I'm not sure of the gradation of Roman military awards beyond the crown system, but I would think that the more heroic the deed the more expensive the award.

Conversely, Valerie Maxfield says that the social status of the recipient dictated the metal of the award. So a lower-rank miles would most likely get a bronze torque or armilla, while some one with more status would get silver or even gold. (However, the story related on page 128 seems to indicate that the reason the soldier in question couldn't get a gold armilla was because he was formerly a slave; by implication his actions otherwise would have warranted a gold armilla, thereby indicating that the metal of the award was mostly based on how courageous or glorious the deed was.) Centurions did not receive armillae, apparently.
Nate Hanawalt

"Bonum commune communitatis"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Torque Charlie 4 1,547 05-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Last Post: rusty myers
  What Equipment Screwups Really Torque You Off? santell 1 1,032 05-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Gordak