Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax attachments
Hello all,
I am currently working on my second linothorax (my first one was a complete disaster...) and I was wondering if there is any evidence toward buckles being used to hold the linothorax on. I haven't ever seen any and I know that the Greeks of the late archaic era and the early Hellenic didn't use buckles to hold chin straps on, but I was wondering if they used them at all. To me it seems buckles would be sensible. They are easy to put on, I would assume they would be more slash resistant than the normal leather or linen cord, and most importantly they will be way less of a hassle for me to build into the panels of linen! I was just wondering what all you guy's thoughts were on it.
Thanks,
Chris
As far as I know, with the evidence that we have, namely pottery, it appears to be ties only. Ties are much simpler and easier to replace as far as the Greeks were concerned, plus you could tie it tighter or more loose depending on varying body types
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
The evidence that we have in not pottery only, it is sculptural evidence and also some actual bronze and gold and silver fittings. They all suggest that the commonest attachment points were rings over rosettes, similar to the shield rings. There were more elaborate attachments for the very rich this is certain, like lion heads and medusa heads, but rings and rosettes is typical.
Both pottery and preserved colour on sculpture and mosaics show only ties and not buckles. Buckles where at least some times used on muscle cuirasses, since remains of buckles and the stamp of the corroded buckle on the cuirass have been preserved.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]