Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Varying curves in some scutums?
Alright so this is my first scutum what do you guys think. it's not actually done yet (i'm taking a break)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It looks pretty damn good. Whilst 'we' may know it's formed plywood, from any reasonable distance it will look just fine.

You probably already have it planned, but all it really needs is a 'rim', either real or perhaps just painted. Things like pins or simple rivets would only make it better (even if only representative).
Mike
That scutum is looking good so all you need now is to get some edging on to it and if it is of any help here are a couple of pictures to show a type of tool to make the corner pieces.
This tool is made from a piece of steel 1/4 inch X 3/4 inch at about 9 inches long and bent over to a 90 degree shape, this can be done with heating the metal and hammering over in a vice.
Then when you make your corner strip use 0.9 mm thick brass sheet cut at about 2 inches wide then shaped as shown, the tool and the strip can now be held together in a vice and bent to shape.
What you find is that the bend will begin to ripple but this can be resolved by hammering it down on the tool as you go along with regular heating of the brass strip.

[attachment=10193]edgetool.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10194]edgestrip.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
Mike,

What did you use to get the curve in the shield? For my demo shield, I glued two pieces of birch 1/8" panels to each other while clamped against a 55 gallon drum, but I think the curve is too severe. Also, how did you match up the curve angle and the brass umbo?

Shield looks good, how much do you think it weighs?
Hey guys thanks for responding the next step is defiantly the brass rim and thanks for the tips. the only problem I have is finding sheets of brass metal for the rim.

My shield weighs about 11 pounds. i used 2 layers of 1/4 lauan I wish i used 1/8 but oh well. I actually curved it around 2 giant logs and shimmed it till the curve was even. I used ratchet clamps and painted a thick layer of glue with brush. For the brass umbo I just carefully bent with with my hands was careful not to get folds in the metal it inst perfect but 2 more rivet screws will fix that.
Here is another piece of information that might be of help to anyone making an umbo it is where one should put the curve on the sheet of metal before hammering out the dome.
This way the plate does not finish up with a flat at the top and bottom of it above and below the dome that can make it difficult to bend the plate afterwards to fit the shield surface it is already there and just fits snug onto the curve of the scutum.

[attachment=10207]umbo.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
Hey all dumb question but does anybody know where I can get a brass plate? Ive been looking but they are either to short or ridiculously expensive.
Mike
Brass is quite expensive these days as the commodity prices went up. I am not sure what are you calling expensive though please post a link to where you want to buy
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Hey I was just doing a general search on the web and its hard to find what your looking for. I was wondering if anyone had any luck on websites buying metal. Thanks for the reply sorry I talk so long.

I wanted to add something about the specs of my shield I believe I accidentally said it was 1/4 plywood the shield actually measures about 10mm thick.
On the topic of Scutum edging. Does anyone have or know where I can find documentation for rawhide as edging?
Darcy Posein aka Stragin Britannicus
I use Brass kick plate for doors. Relatively inexpensive and easy to find.
Hey Mike, I use brass door kick plate available at most hardware stores. Relatively inexpensive and easy to find.
That's an easy one, Google Dura-Europos, shield and rawhide.
Joe Balmos