Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muscle Armor effectiveness
Quote:Ok 32 degrees celsius ( 90 degrees fahrenheit if I am right ) is quite an exaggeration, no ancient army went to fight in such a heat.
Climate has never been a reason why a soldier chose to wear a particular armour. We know that some of the heaviest armours ever invented were worn on summer campaigns in the arid regions of the MIddle East for thousands of years. I've worn these all day in the middle of an Australian summer with no more discomfort than wearing heavy clothing. The main problem with heat exhaustion is caused by enclosed helmets, not armour. If you stay hydrated and keep your head ventillated then heavy armour is no problem at all.

I think people underestimate the value of acclimatization. I grew up in Australia and was rarely subjected to air conditioning until I was an adult. I have more trouble functioning in 15 deg C than 35 deg C. I can do manual labour outside all day in 35 deg C..
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:However it must be noted that Pharaonic charioteers wore leather scale armour.
Only the ones who couldn't afford metal. The elite charioteers wore bronze armour.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:
Daniel Meijers post=357722 Wrote:Ok 32 degrees celsius ( 90 degrees fahrenheit if I am right ) is quite an exaggeration, no ancient army went to fight in such a heat.
Climate has never been a reason why a soldier chose to wear a particular armour. We know that some of the heaviest armours ever invented were worn on summer campaigns in the arid regions of the MIddle East for thousands of years. I've worn these all day in the middle of an Australian summer with no more discomfort than wearing heavy clothing. The main problem with heat exhaustion is caused by enclosed helmets, not armour. If you stay hydrated and keep your head ventillated then heavy armour is no problem at all.

I think people underestimate the value of acclimatization. I grew up in Australia and was rarely subjected to air conditioning until I was an adult. I have more trouble functioning in 15 deg C than 35 deg C. I can do manual labour outside all day in 35 deg C..

Its a bit different, but when I was in Iraq, in summer it would often get in the 115-120 F (46-48 C) range and the metal portions of our weapons used to burn us something fierce. I remember one of the guys burned the end of his nose touching it to the metal charging handle of his M4 carbine while firing it. Left a burn mark, scab and scar on the tip of his nose for months. I don't know how someone would wear full metal armor in 115 F + climate without getting burnt. Campaigning in the Middle East must have been most unpleasant (like it still isn't today :-D ).
The Battles of Adrianopolis and Chalons were both fought at Midday (No clue for the first one, latter one began around 2:30). It could easily have been 90 degrees Farenheit Daniel (admittedly though France is significantly cooler than SC).

Quote: If you stay hydrated and keep your head ventillated then heavy armour is no problem at all.

Exactly

Quote:I don't know how someone would wear full metal armor in 115 F + climate without getting burnt.
Armor, helmet, and greave liners. We found lots of them at Dura.

Quote:By the way what tunic do you wear? Is it such a Persian tunic which gets lots of air through?

Depends. I have a linen, light wool, and heavy wool tunic and have no problem with any of them during the summer, unless I'm wearing Braccae/Feminalia.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armor and Weapon Effectiveness arklore70 16 3,817 04-01-2013, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Roman Muscle Armor jho 12 3,712 05-13-2012, 02:33 AM
Last Post: Duncan Head
  Weapon/Armor Effectiveness Bryan 34 8,394 11-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Cerco 21