Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newstead Caligae
Looking for details of the Newstead Caligae any help would be appreciated, so far the only thing I've been able to find is this rather imperfect photo on the NMS website and the general description in "A Roman Frontier Post and its People" Curle 1911, page 150.

Many Thanks Confusedmile:
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Have you seen this plate from Curle's 'Newstead' and the general commentary on footwear between pages 150 and 153?

http://www.curlesnewstead.org.uk/platexx.htm
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Thanks, yes I knew about that already, what isn't illustrated but only described is the"Mainz" style Caligae and that's the one I'm after.

I took the NMS photo and tried to make it clearer but there's still little to see.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
I don't have any additional information about the Newstead piece itself, but the 2 tabs that are visible on the pictures put the style in line with the caligae finds from Valkenburg and Castleford (cf http://sutor.jimdo.com/shoes/roman-shoes/caligae/), which are more complete. Maybe that helps ...
I think its just as possible it could be like this incomplete example from Mainz (judjing by the squarish tabs) illustrated in a RGM catalogue from 1889, length 26.8cm, sorry about the poor image it is an improvement on the original...
Also included in the same catalogue was a Caligae from Bon 27cm long... a new one for me even though I've had this book for some time...
Ivor

Hi Ivor,

Quote:illustrated in a RGM catalogue from 1889

Is that Das Römisch-Germanische Central-Museum in bildlichen Darstellungen aus seinen Sammlungen Mainz : Zabern, 1889?
Yes I think thats the one, I only have a PDf copy though images are poor, an original would be better ;-)

its here: https://archive.org/details/dasrmischgerma00linduoft
Ivor

Thanks for the link - I think the state library in Munich has it. If I can get better pictures from there I'll let you know (will be a few weeks, though, before I have a chance to go there again).