Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman dodecahedron solved...for kniting gloves?
When I were a lad, I can remember my Aunt (during a very wet summer evening) introducing me to the concept of "French Knitting" - and this looks remarkably similar, except that there are five holes for the fingers. Basically, you took a wooden cotton reel, banged four panel pins into the top and then did when you see in the video. The result was that a hollow tube of 'knitting' emerged from the bottom of the reel. I could sit there for hours doing this, listening to the Goon Show or similar. Because there was only one tube being made at once, there wasn't much you could do with the finished product. One use was to stitch the tube into a circular pattern, so you ended up with a flat disc, which could be used to stand a teapot on so as not to mark the table. I think that this is a very real possibility for the use of these things. At least, it's the only one I've seen so far that has actually been tested.

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Does anyone make these? I think I would like to have one, an accurate example of course Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
I would like one as well - I will chat up a potter friend Smile
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I could see these being 3D printed, even in wax, so you could cast it. Need a 3D scan though. We need ubiquitous 3D scanners like the Google phone prototype with 3D capabiity.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Does anyone have any details on the construction of Dodecahedrons, are all the extent examples cast for example?
any info is welcome... I dont think it would be too difficult to make one either assembled from pieces of wax and cast or made from sheet metal which would probably be easier though at the moment I cant see that this method would be accurate....

Theres several available on Shapeways maybe its good for practice with the gloves etc..

http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=roman+Dodecahedron

From one of the above links I found this article should be useful.. In french it can be translated via chrome and saved as a pdf using the site menu:

A search along the Baths of Jublains (Mayenne): finally a dodecahedron archaeological context!
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mysterious dodecahedron Carus Andiae 25 5,764 12-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Last Post: marsvigilia