Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Gigantes
Here are pictures of a Horse Chamfron that I made copied from one of the famous Straubing pieces, it shows the God Mars being supported by what is known as one of the Gigantes.
These were grotesque giants from Greek mythology that had no legs but terminated in multiple serpents, however the question I have is why would the Romans have a Gigante supporting the God Mars in such a way.
This is a question that has been a puzzle for some time now and if anyone might have the answer to this I would welcome it very much. I may have put this topic into the wrong place so if this can be put where it should belong I would also welcome that.
[attachment=10049]100-0005_IMG.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10050]100-0010_IMG.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
I'd think it represents Ares/Mars defeating a gigante during the Gigantomachy. It reminds me of Archangel Michael and the dragon, or Nataraja and the demon of ignorance -- on a narrow (portrait-oriented) canvas you would show an enemy being defeated by having the hero standing on him.

Ed.: Great work btw.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Dan.
That makes a lot of sense in fact for some time I have only been thinking in terms of Mars, but like you mention in the Gigantomachy there were many gods invovled never gave a thought about Ares, thank you !!

PS Thank you for the compliment and the longest job on that chamfron was in fact the punctim background field, and that pole strap at the top is not the way they were fitted I've worked out the true method since.
Brian Stobbs