Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mainz style gladius recreation
step 4: trace the scribed design in sharpie so it can be seen while cutting it out.
[attachment=10123]IMG_6609_2014-06-12.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10124]IMG_6611_2014-06-12.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

step 5: start by clamping the blank in the vise and cutting the extra steel away. Make sure to leave a little bit of extra room so you don't ruin the final shape. After this you should have a very rough sword shape.
[attachment=10125]IMG_6612.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10126]IMG_6614.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10127]IMG_6616.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10128]IMG_6618.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10129]IMG_6619.JPG[/attachment]

step 6: sand all the edges so they are smooth (RAW METAL IS EXTREMELY SHARP)
step 7: make sure all the edges are even with no rough spots: the picture shows the spots to be removed.
[attachment=10130]IMG_6622.JPG[/attachment]
Step 8: make sure both sides are even and use the bench grinder followed by a hand file to fix any problems.
[attachment=10131]IMG_6625.JPG[/attachment]

step 9: If your blade is to have distal taper, sand it now using the angle grinder and 40 grit wheel.
[attachment=10132]IMG_6626.JPG[/attachment]
step 10: check as you go to see if the taper is correct. sand a little bit at a time to avoid making it too thin. sand more on the parts where more needs it back and forth in big strokes avoids uneven spots

step 11: mark a line down the center of the sides of the blade, this helps you know when you have sanded enough and a getting close to the approximate thickness.
[attachment=10133]IMG_6628.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10134]IMG_6630.JPG[/attachment]
step 12: scribe and mark another center line (sanding distal taper removed old one)

[attachment=10135]IMG_6632.JPG[/attachment]

step 13: slowly start to grind (angle grinder with 40 grit sanding disk)
at the approximate edge angle required. Use the lines on the side and middle of the blade for guides.
[attachment=10136]IMG_6635.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10137]IMG_6637.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10138]IMG_6639.JPG[/attachment]
step 14: repeat on all sides and check the guidelines often.
step 15: when you are very close to the lines, stop and use the hand files.

Jim: I am stuck here. How to I get a flat grind using a file? The best I can do is not flat.

This is indeed a very good how to with also good pictures however if I might add to it just a little by saying that whilst the grinding is being done, I have always found it better not to cut the tang thin but to keep it much wider and this helps to strengthen the whole thing while griding pressure is applied.
Brian Stobbs
Good run down John. Liking the results. You use much the same technique I use though I probably used half as many tools :-)

I found that once I get the overall shape and profile the markings become either non existent or superfluous and a keen eye works very well for the edge and centerline.
Great job. Keep it up mate!

Jim
Thanks for the encouragement guys. How do I finish the diamond shape? Mine is more lenticular. Careful grinding? 20 hours more filing?
Hi John

I got the diamond shape originally with the belt sander. It can also be done with a grinding disk on the angle grinder and follow with a flap disk. Mainly it just requires a steady angle with the grinder and a good eyeball. Keep it straight as possible and don't rotate the disk over the top. Move it in a straight line down the length. I've done several and it's not too difficult. The belt grinder I used was a 150mm fixed stand grinder not a hand held type. I could rough out a Pompeii or Mainz in under two hours with it. But all my intermediate finishing was with the angle grinder. With good technique the angle grinder can do a good job if you hold it on a steady plane.

I want to get some scothbrite disks to try as a polishing method. Hand finishing is hard on an old guy with bad shoulders and elbows.
Blade by Mark Morrow. It seems to taper inward toward the middle, but it does not.
[attachment=10161]FulhamMainz.JPG[/attachment]

Mark does some really nice work. That's a nice sword.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius from Mainz Rado 52 14,368 08-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Rado
  Mainz Type Gladius XorX 16 7,674 04-26-2016, 01:25 AM
Last Post: Timothy Park
  Forging Mainz Gladius Timothy Park 1 1,923 04-24-2016, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Jim Bertagnolli