Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single Century Sent On Missions/Patrols?
Hmmm... That does open up some possibilities. The more I develop my character, the more I want him to be somewhat jaded and casual about the whole military life. So, him stooping to grab an item off of a fallen enemy while in the middle of a battle might just fit in with his personality. I just didn't think it was anything that a trained legionnaire would do, especially while combat was going on. I know looting occurred, and I am sure that it occurs moments after a confrontation (I am kind of counting on it for my plot), but I thought doing so while enemies are visible and actively engaged was disallowed and discouraged. If they were a little more loose with their discipline in regards to looting and let soldiers loot while not individually engaged, then this makes things a little easier.
I don't know about ordinary legionaries being transferred between cohorts, but some legionaries (most likely immunes) were sent out as stationarii all over the empire.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Mili...tINwAACAAJ

That being the case, it may also be possible that immunes, if not an ordinary miles, were transferred between cohorts. However, most sources seem to agree that optios were selected by their centurion, so I don't know how likely it would be for an optio to transfer centuries or cohorts (although if the centurion were transferred, maybe he would take his optio with him).
Nate Hanawalt

"Bonum commune communitatis"