Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spatha scabbards
Hello Everyone,

Is there any evidence for the way spatha scabbards looked like in the 1st C AD. Most reconstructions I see make use of Pompeii gladii decorative parts.

I am interested in photos/information of what could possibly be associated with spathas in the period above not connected to other gladii.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I can only point you in a search direction unfortunately.....try Hod Hill, Dorset finds, apart from the spartha there are many more items to drool over. I do not have a link so an in depth search is required. Will post more when I find the info required.

Kevin
Kevin
Hello Kevin,

Thank you very much. Once you have the links, let me know.....better through the PM since for some reason I get notifications for PMs but not new posts in threads even though I click the option for notifications.

Cheers
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
try this..http://www.romanarmytalk.com/17-roman-military-history-a-archaeology/319946-what-is-the-hod-hill-spatha-ia-or-roman.html
Kevin
Kevin
Hello Kevin,

That is an interesting scabbard with that etched design. However, I am not sure if I can use it for my sword since the scabbard is BC and the sword I have is from mid 1st to later part of 1st C AD. It is really interesting to be sure. I am trying to avoid using Pompeii gladii parts if I can help it. Any other photos or links would be great.

Cheers

Paolo
Ask Robert Wimmers, he'd know.
[attachment=10002]1231600_10151890312942132_2101105316_n_2014-05-24.jpg[/attachment]

Not sure if this can be made out well, but the plates are repoused more like a Mainz style, however, I have never seen a Mainz
with these decorations. The Spatha and scabbard were made by E. Konig, but I'm not 100% sure what finds it is based on.
I bought it from a friend, who no longer required it. Do you have access to the Miks book by any chance?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hello Byron,

I cannot make out the decorations exactly BUT I know the type of locket it is. I have a Pompeii gladius with punched figures on the locket.

That is precisely what I am trying to avoid which is using Pompeii gladii parts for the spatha. Many reconstructions use the decorations you have on spathas and Pompeii gladii because the width of the swords is similar. Technically the decorations for Pompeii gladii in Miks' are viable for both but I was looking for something that is specific for the spatha.

I really like that scabbard that Kevin has linked to that is in the BM. However, it may be too early since my sword is for 1st C AD.

Cheers

Paolo
No, the only thing similar to the pompei is the palmette on it, the plates are not punched. But yeah, the hod hill is a nice sword.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hod Hill was occupied up til the mid first cent.....styles of everything, weapons, belts etc carried over many years.
Kevin
Kevin
I would beg to differ in the statement of the width of the gladii being similar to the spathae in the first century as a rule of thumb. The only spatha around at that time was the Newstead, the Straubing only coming in in the second century. There is a difference of a full centimeter in the average width. But yes, there is a lot of variation, so it is indeed hard to pin a loose find on a specific bladetype, unless more variables are figured in. Having said that, a scabbard fitting of the first century less then 45 mm wide may very well be attributed to a Newstead spatha. To answer this question well would involve some proper research as to the scabbard fittings most likely to be appropiate for a spatha of that period.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
My mate has my book on the excavation of Waddon Hill Dorset done by Mr Webster. So no pics, but I can state that the finds were very similar to the Hod Hill finds from .............Hod Hill. Apparently both show examples of Spatha from the same time....45/50 AD and are of La Tene type. That's fact. Are you chasing an Indian fantasy? In depth investigation will prove as much and more. I can only wish you well in your quest. Please do not dismiss what I have posted.
Kevin
Kevin
Here are pictures along with a reproduction of what I consider to be a Spatha scabbard chape from my collection that I may have posted in the past, the inside measurement across the top is 37 mm, the length is 45 mm, the inside width is 12 mm.
These measurements I think would concur with the views of Robert that a 1st century spatha might have been in the region of only 40 mm blade width. There is an interesting feature where the acanthus leaf design at the left side of the chape has been completely worn away that may indicate that the owner might have had his shield giving a constant rubbing that has removed it.
[attachment=10007]chape7.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
Hello Brian,

What period are those chapes?

Kevin, are you suggesting that other then the Newstead there were other spathas from Hod Hill or Dorset?

Can someone also point me to what is meant by La Tene types.

Paolo
I have some pictures of Hod Hill and Whaddon Hill finds which are scabbard parts ; also some late La Tene scabbards in the BM (Stanwick sword). Attachments have gone in the wrong way round - so Stanwick, Hod Hill and Whaddon...
[attachment=10013]stanwickscabbard_upper.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10012]HodHillexamples.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=10011]WaddonHillexamples_TimEdwards.jpg[/attachment]

I would show you my Hod Hill recon but sadly it isn't ready yet LOL!

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!