Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British Red coats fighting in World War I?
I've encountered with interesting story from WWI but I have no idea if It is truth.I tried to find details about it on the internet but with no results.

One guy claimed that there were small episode during World war one when some British officer commanded his men to dress up into their traditional red coat uniforms and that they consequently went to charge the German ranks like this to "let them know they are really facing the British."

Do you know something about this?Did it really happen or is it just a fake story?
Hi Pavel

I have never heard of that story. As far as I know the last time redcoats were used in battle was during the Gordon relief expedition of 1885. (events covered in the films 'Khartoum' and the last version of "The Four Feathers") Even by that date the redcoat was a rarity but General Gordon expressly sent messages to the effect that members of the relief force wear red coats, so the besieging forces would know that British troops were on their way.

The British army had undergone a series of reforms after the fairly disastrous events during the Boar War. Consequently by the outbreak of World War One they were probably the best equipped army of all the major belligerents, including the German army and especially when compared with the French and Belgian armies. I very much doubt redcoats were included amongst their battle kit.

Nevertheless I do know of one German postcard which depicts a battle scene between German and British troops at the first battle of Ypres. While the Germans are shown in field grey uniforms and picklehaub helmets, the British are wearing red coats and bearskin hats!

Now imagine if that card was the only evidence we had for what British uniforms were like during WW1 and then compare that with what we have left from Roman times!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Thank you very much.

So it probably never happened....but it would by so great(o.k-perhaps not for those soldiers themselves) Confusedmile: ...also a fine subject for painting.I saw those movies(and 2 or 3 versions of four feathers).I guess that newest Four feathers movie also incorrectly shows British soldiers dressed in red on the campaign in Sudan although they use khaki there already.It seems 19/20 century Newspaper pictures were very keen to still show redcoats because it traditional popular image and as something which was perceived as more "cool"-for example some contemporary images of Omdurman battle you certainly know are great examples of this.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Pavel

Well I guess it never happened.

The latest version of 'The Four Feathers' starring the late Heath Ledger did correctly set the events, like the novel, during the Gordon relief expedition, unlike the more famous version which changed the period to the later British invasion of the Sudan under General Kitchener.

The later film also follows the novel more closely and it would therefore have been accurate to show some redcoats as depicted. However at the battle which you have illustrated the British troops involved were largely composed of the camel corps who ironically had been specially equipped with a new uniform of grey jackets and khaki trousers.

This uniform is in fact properly shown in the film 'Khatoum' starring Charlton Heston, which briefly shows the same battle of Abu Klea. Although the British square was broken as shown in both films, the battle was actually won by the British not a defeat as shown in the Heath Ledger film! The camels actually played a part in stopping the Sudanese who had broken into the square!

I read some information about the making of the latter Heath Ledger film. The film makers actually made an exact replica of one of the Gardiner machine guns which played a prominent part in the battle. It was due to one of them jamming which caused the break in the square. It cost about $30,000 to make but if you actually see it on screen it is probably a blink and you miss it moment.

However you cannot beat a prop in the famous version of 'The Four Feathers'. The Gunboat you see in the final battle was the actual one which took part in the real battle of Omdurman. According to a fairly recent TV documentary it still survives (just) and lies outside Khartoum.

Best wishes.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Although it does seem a bit unorthodox, I wouldn't completely put it out of question - I have heard a few stories about British officers being a bit "eccentric". Probably my favorite story is about Lt. Col. Jack Churchill, aka "Mad Jack". Here's a link to his wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill.
He was known for going into battle armed with a long bow and a claymore-esque sword, stating that "any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed." In short, the guy was a badass. (He's the furthest right in the picture)

"The strong did what they could, the weak suffered what they must."

- Thucydides

Sean Cantrell
Northern Michigan
[quote="Ariovistus Togodubnus" post=355354] Lt. Col. Jack Churchill, aka "Mad Jack".

I think his nickname tells it all :lol:

I recently read somwhere there is even a movie planned about this guy!

Looking on old illustration I also came across few interresting ghost/paranormal stories from WW1 like medival longowmen helping the British during fight which was reportedly observed by many soldiers :wink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_of_Mons

Quote:However you cannot beat a prop in the famous version of 'The Four Feathers'. The Gunboat you see in the final battle was the actual one which took part in the real battle of Omdurman. According to a fairly recent TV documentary it still survives (just) and lies outside Khartoum.

I found it on a website in a picture from 2012:
[attachment=9995]Melik1.jpg[/attachment]

However, on images from Google earth from this years it's nor visible (tre cover?):
[attachment=9996]Melik2.jpg[/attachment]

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Hi Pavel

I have never heard of that story. As far as I know the last time redcoats were used in battle was during the Gordon relief expedition of 1885. (events covered in the films 'Khartoum' and the last version of "The Four Feathers") Even by that date the redcoat was a rarity but General Gordon expressly sent messages to the effect that members of the relief force wear red coats, so the besieging forces would know that British troops were on their way.

The British army had undergone a series of reforms after the fairly disastrous events during the Boar War. Consequently by the outbreak of World War One they were probably the best equipped army of all the major belligerents, including the German army and especially when compared with the French and Belgian armies. I very much doubt redcoats were included amongst their battle kit.

Nevertheless I do know of one German postcard which depicts a battle scene between German and British troops at the first battle of Ypres. While the Germans are shown in field grey uniforms and picklehaub helmets, the British are wearing red coats and bearskin hats!

Now imagine if that card was the only evidence we had for what British uniforms were like during WW1 and then compare that with what we have left from Roman times!

Graham.

Thanks for this! Food for thought.
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History